Gourami, old or sick? Pics

Dana

Anyone know what's up with my Gourami? Given he's about 10 months old, but was fine a couple of days ago.

Only change is the addition of an artificial plant this afternoon. He's still eating, but has wounds on his sides and his mouth has been ripped to shreds. His entire mouth is just a mash of skin and flesh.

All the other fish appear fine, no white spots or ulcers. Just this boy....

Is he old and on his way out, or has he come down with something very quickly...

8351466553_2e572ceca6.jpg

Blue right side by danaj2009, on Flickr

8351466669_3bb76de1d0.jpg

Blue mouth 2 by danaj2009, on Flickr

8351466857_26e1c26d91.jpg

Blue mouth by danaj2009, on Flickr

They are dwarf, so all male. He is the largest, two are slightly smaller, and one is juvenile.

They have clear areas for territory, although lacking in height through the center of the tank. Any suggestions to ease their aggression?

I've had other suggestions of adding females. A) some say this would make it worse and B) near impossible to find female dwarfs

It definitely looks like fighting to me, particularly the mouth which will have been caused by them liplocking.

Gourami are very much like betta in that two males in the same tank can cause issues once they are mature. Why do you think you have only males, it could be that there is a female in the tank which could be adding to the issue.

It definitely looks like fighting to me, particularly the mouth which will have been caused by them liplocking.

Gourami are very much like betta in that two males in the same tank can cause issues once they are mature. Why do you think you have only males, it could be that there is a female in the tank which could be adding to the issue.

I was of the understanding that male dwarfs have colour, and the females are smaller and brown? I believe all of mine are male.