Water change water

camtang

Out of curisoty, what do you people do with there water from a water change?

My dad (landlord) has been staying with me over xmas and has encouraged me to put my water change water into my garden, previosly I just let it run out the drive way to the drain.

Now he is trying to tell me to put it in drums and to try and sell it :sml1: :facepalm: .

So it has gotten me to the question of what other people do with theres

At the moment it just goes straight out the window, but when the big tank is set up I'm going to have to look at some way of re-using it (probably for garden or fruit trees) as we're on tank water. Only problem is the tank will be lower than the garden or fruit trees, so I'll need some sort of pump and storage tank system...

When I first started keeping fish, I was told that tank water is only good for growing weeds so thats why I always let it go on the drive or lawn

Think of what it is you're removing from the tank, especially if you're doing a gravel clean too - it's like liquid fertiliser for plants. Probably on par to worm tea which plants also love.

I use it to water my plants as well, both indoor and out.

pics! :spop:

Hmmm, not much to see but ok.

Asparagus garden

garden1.JPG

Brocolli, lettuce, some tomatoes, a couple chillies. I think there are some peas and stuff in the weeds...

garden2.JPG

Strawberries under the white thing, blueberries, raspberries, cranberries and peppinos?

garden3.JPG

The lemon, apple, more berries, cherry, grapes etc up this way. It's hot outside, I didn't want to walk all the way over there to take pics.

garden4.JPG

Some weeds that overrun everything around them.

garden5.JPG

I didn't water these, but they're looking nice.

suckies2.JPG

I bought a largish bucket (50L or so) to hold all the water from my water changes. This nitrate rich water is then used to water the veges, and all the indoor plants. When all this water has all been consumed, I then do another water change to fill her up again!

I bought a largish bucket (50L or so) to hold all the water from my water changes. This nitrate rich water is then used to water the veges, and all the indoor plants. When all this water has all been consumed, I then do another water change to fill her up again!

I am not thinking of doing something sinilar, but with a bigger container. just trying to work out a way of it having the capibilty of being forced out through a hose.

If you were thinking of using a gravity fed irrigation system, I'd be concerned about fish gunk blocking the holes. As it is, my water can gets blocked and I need to clean the perforations.

The popular thing it seems these days is to conserve water by using sub irrigation techniques. You put the fish water into a reservoir under the plant roots and the soil absorbs by capillary action to allow the roots access.

This is a planter box from the warehouse purchased during a special :) On the right front corner I have a black pipe that goes to the reservoir at the bottom to feed the fish water. Irrigation from the top is avoided to prevent nutrients washing out of the soil into the reservoir, and to avoid watering weeds and compacting the soil. These days I would use an inverted plastic drink bottle with a flap cut from the bottom of the bottle as a natural funnel, and since the bottom remains there it prevents mozzies from breeding inside the water. This design has a hole to empty the water but no overflow. I drilled one myself so that the plants don't drown when it rains. Unfortunately I hadn't banked on the strong December Wgton wind which broke a few of these beans .. some of which I have cellotaped back together :)

planter-1.jpg

planter-2.jpg