Anyone know what these bugs(?) are ?

GrahamC

Got tiny red spot like things drilling holes in my bok choy in my aquaponics system.

They didn't seem to move and using a hand lens I can't resolve any details.

These pictures were taken using iTouch through the eye piece of a 10x microscope. I don't have a camera attachment :(

Anyone know what these things are?

2013-01-01%2011.29.01.jpg

2013-01-01%2011.29.54.jpg

leaf miners are making the little trails. If you cut off a leaf and split it with a razor you'll find a little burrowing larvae in there. You can sometimes see them.

Usually I either ignore them or you can gently squash them in their burrows too.

They could also be making the spotty bits or perhaps it's a deficiency of some sort.

Cool. I hadn't realised what those trails were ... so once the weather improves I'll be out there squashing them.

I don't think the spots are a deficiency as I also have some plants in the deep water culture that are protected by plastic cups, and their leaves are fine. No holes. So, I need to find the bugs responsible.

due to a recent customer issue and a good play around with a microscope they look very similar to pear blister mite.Pear-leaf-Mite-Phytoptus-Pyri.jpg

a good dose of pyrethrum spray works on them.

looks like a carrot to me?

do a google on spider mite,are there fine traces of web there?

I'm sure that there are leaf miners as well ... are they responsible for all the holes as well as the tracks?

I've been using some dish washing soap spray ... just a little as too much and my fish will be in trouble!

These are much smaller than spider mites, and no webs.