1st time breeding attempt question.

Fruju

Hey guys, I recently acquired a pair of fighters - last week - (planning on getting more); I have the female in a plastic bottle within a tank that holds the male. The setup has a sponge filter, indian almond leaf, floating plants and is set at 26 degrees. I have conditioned the female and male for a few days on live food, they both flare for each other and the female has the vertical bars.

BUT.

The male has not produced a bubble nest yet. Should I wait for him to make one before introducing them? Condition them for longer? Introduce them and see what happens then remove female again if no breeding occurs?

Cheers

I had the same issue with my PK pair, I got impatient, released the female and he beat the snot out of her :o I put a rival male in to try scare him into nest building at it worked but he still didn't want to breed. I hope you have better luck!

feed them both up majorly, good time of year for mozzie larvae, white worms are always good, find a good supply of daphnia.... etc... live food is always good for them.

also check your hardness, bubblenests don't last long in hard water.

the female should be REALLY fat when you introduce her, the male may decide she isn't ready and then just get nasty.

also make sure you have minimal water movement... how big is the breeding tank... I used to use 150L long shallow tanks so you had a good chance to raise the fry before they needed re-homing. (plus a sponge filter running slowly in one end didn't disturb the nest too much at the other end)

Yup, got a consistent supply of mozzie larvae and feeding them heaps of them. PH is <7.

I bought a second female today; she is fatter than the other one, but I wouldn't say she is 'popping'. The original female is smaller, less fat but has dominant vertical bars. Both however, are responding positively through the bottle plastic.

Bubble/sponge filter on the tank means no water movement on the opposite side from where I put the indian almond leaf.

Tank is 30L; and I will move the fry to another larger tank later on/leave them in there to grow a bit and then move them.