Blue Rams Spawning

Godly3vil

I recently purchased 12 blue rams from a member on here and was really surprised last night when I sat down to watch them that the 2 largest have decided to pair up and spawn already, I think they are only about 4 months old and are still quite small (1.5cm max)

They still haven't developed all of their nice colours yet and are all together in a 70ltr tank that I set up for my Apsitogramma Trifasciata which are spawning aswell, I am hoping that they will be fine in there at the moment as I don't really have enough tank space in my other tanks yet to separate them as getting rid of swordtails seems to be quite hard down here.

What I am wondering is is it usual for them to spawn when they are this young/small and if they do raise some fry will it be ok to raise them with the trifasciata fry in the same tank feeding them the same food? I will of course remove both pairs of cichlids at the same time so that one of the pair doesn't eat the others young.

I will try to get some decent photos later when I feed them.

Hotlinking Error

We have detected a hotlinking error. Hotlinking is when you link to images or NON html files on bravepages.com from another host. Hotlinking is not allowed for our FREE Accounts. Hotlinking is allowed for our paid accounts. Your account can be upgraded in the user section when you have logged in.

Try again

• 3 months later...
I recently purchased 12 blue rams from a member on here and was really surprised last night when I sat down to watch them that the 2 largest have decided to pair up and spawn already, I think they are only about 4 months old and are still quite small (1.5cm max)

They still haven't developed all of their nice colours yet and are all together in a 70ltr tank that I set up for my Apsitogramma Trifasciata which are spawning aswell, I am hoping that they will be fine in there at the moment as I don't really have enough tank space in my other tanks yet to separate them as getting rid of swordtails seems to be quite hard down here.

What I am wondering is is it usual for them to spawn when they are this young/small and if they do raise some fry will it be ok to raise them with the trifasciata fry in the same tank feeding them the same food? I will of course remove both pairs of cichlids at the same time so that one of the pair doesn't eat the others young.

I will try to get some decent photos later when I feed them.

:smot: :smot: where did you get your apistogramma from, I havn't seen them at Hollywood? :smot: :smot:

Good work mate. My little pair bred a few days ago and I was able to snap some photos. The boy ate up all the eggs but in all honesty he needed fattening up.

Ramsbreeding_zps96523d47.jpg

You can see the translucent eggs just to the left of her.

Ramsbreeding2_zps5028049c.jpg

Her

Ramsbreeding3_zpseecf65af.jpg

Good luck with yours