Borderline rehoming fish and selling tank

Dana

Mate, this was epic. These fish better feel bloody lucky LOL

The plants I've placed are cheapies and experimental depending on what happens. I've taken Sophia's advice and am down to 3 hours of light per day. Currently cutting and painting core flute to black out 2 sides. The underside and underneath of rocks was crystal clear. Light appears to be my nightmare.

No plants could be saved. They'd rotted and fell apart when touched.

Rocks and plants out at 6pm

Scrubbed for an hour

Removed part gravel, scrubbed some more

Put fish in bin with aquarium water, heater and pump

Battled another 30 minutes to find 2 glass cats hiding amongst the murk...

Drained tank, scrubbed as I went

Finally emptied tank, chased brown slime with a siphon

All gear outside, scrubbed

All back in tank just after midnight

Final tally from starting on rocks was 6 hours. Fish in bin just over 4, ammonia didn't spike. 4 out of 6 loaches turned grey within in hour. Worried as one glass cat looked milky, but has recovered. Bob doesn't seem phased after his evening in the drain pipe. He seemed rather partial to the 2 minute noodle I found him attached to on my kitchen floor after the flood from removing the entire plumbing system...

8215420197_e560b19b3c_c.jpg

Before after by danaj2009, on Flickr

Unhappy fish...

8215422805_0193b1cdd1_c.jpg

IMG_1341 by danaj2009, on Flickr

Always keep the lid on in case of unexpected interest....

8215422197_ef4d19c67f_c.jpg

IMG_1343 by danaj2009, on Flickr

Midst epic night time horror...

8215422543_a58c93cf75_c.jpg

IMG_1342 by danaj2009, on Flickr

The hell that followed in my kitchen at midnight...

8216503786_b503555af7_c.jpg

IMG_1354 by danaj2009, on Flickr

3 week old cartridges...(replaced)

8215421539_074aa8eb86_c.jpg

IMG_1348 by danaj2009, on Flickr

Home stretch 11pm

8215421841_dbcc62394d_c.jpg

IMG_1346 by danaj2009, on Flickr

Done

8215420625_ebc8bff9d1_c.jpg

IMG_1361 by danaj2009, on Flickr

Fish are happy, I've never seen them move and play in bubbles quite so much. Demanding food everytime I move. The larger Gourami jumped my wrist when I went to adjust heater tonight. Loaches are screaming in and out of bubbles. All 4 glass cats have actually ventured out with lights on.

We shall see....

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The algae is back overnight? Wow. I think at this point we have to figure out whether your water is high in phosphate or your rock/substrate is leaching phosphate. It's either got to be that, or something's up with the filtration.

I might have missed this, but are you on town or tap water? What area are you in?

Can you take some substrate out, put it in, say a litre of fresh water (test the phosphate first), then test again in a couple of days? Do the same with one of the rocks. If something is leaching out of the rock or substrate, if you eliminate that it should get rid of the issue.

Phosphates has been mentioned a few times. My reading suggests it could have something to do with the battle I've had with BBA coming back again and again. The plants die too.

I'm in Ashhurst, Palmerston North. Our town is on bore water.

I don't have a Phosphate test kit bit clearly it's something I need to eliminate so I'll pick one up.

Fishkeeping....a hobby for the wealthy :slfg:

Agh, you got that right. I hate to think how much money I've spend because it's an emergency and my poor little fish babies will die without!

I'm not an expert, but I think Palmy has increased something in the water - it could be phosphate.

I think considering it's come back already, I'd definitely be pointing the finger at increased phosphate - you've just got to figure out what from. If you can eliminate the water, substrate and rock from the source, then it's quite simple to narrow down and fix.

Wetpets share water, helped me set up to start with. Not sure about a well, I've only ever seen them take it from tanks.

Not so bad if you live in town and have time to drive back and forward with heavy water containers....I considered it but it's just not viable.

I seem to remember a lot of people in Palmerston North saying they got their water from a special tap (perhaps they have their own well?) at Wet Pets as the town supply was unsuitable for fish keeping. Can't remember what was in it though.

Ah snap - same comment! I can't remember what it is, but I'm pretty sure palmy water is high in something which can make it difficult for fish keeping.

Would something like Phos Zorb help? That's if it turns out to be phosphates of course. Will test first.

Could do - more likely to help if it's just in the water than if it's leeching out of something, I'd think. There are a few ways of dealing with it though, so no need to panic :)

To be honest, I really think if it's phosphate, then it's the water rather than the rocks. The LFS has taken them from the same area, with no probs.

These issues started nearly 3 months after set up, and although I'm not sure it's relevant, I noticed a more slimy build up in the bath tub requiring cleaning more often. My daughters bath toys are also starting to have a discoloured coating on them, meaning I have to scrub them every couple of days, rather than every week.

The fish seem fine with regular water changes (up to twice per week), just impacting the tank and plants.

To be honest, I really think if it's phosphate, then it's the water rather than the rocks. The LFS has taken them from the same area, with no probs.

These issues started nearly 3 months after set up, and although I'm not sure it's relevant, I noticed a more slimy build up in the bath tub requiring cleaning more often. My daughters bath toys are also starting to have a discoloured coating on them, meaning I have to scrub them every couple of days, rather than every week.

The fish seem fine with regular water changes (up to twice per week), just impacting the tank and plants.

Definitely sounds like you're spot on with the water being the issue. FIsh don't mind phosphate so much, but as you've seen, it breeds algae like crazy.

Hmmm, definitely sounds like a phosphate issue with all the algae. Just wondering if the tank gets any direct sun light on it at all through the day?

If it does turn out to be a phosphate issue from the water supply there are quite a few ways to combat it, cheapest being just collect rain water for your tank - pretty easy to set up and even up north I am pretty sure there is enough rainfall to be able to collect enough to supply your tank with all the water it needs for water changes.

No, no direct sunlight at all. It did with the change of season, but I now keep that curtain closed until late afternoon. I paid more attention to light after Sophia's input. I think the light has had a significant bearing on it, but I'm still not sure it's the original cause.

Anyway, I'll pick up a P04 kit tomorrow and we shall see....

BINGO - This may explain my problems...

Tested before and after 30% water change, results were the same

P04 = Darker than 2.5 but not as dark as 5.

Test says should be under one, reading suggests it should be at or less than 0.25

So many articles on this and treatment. What say you fish people??