Borderline rehoming fish and selling tank

Dana

The API test kit does have two parts and you have to be spot on in following the instructions ie, shaking part 1 in the vial, then part 2 for 30 seconds before adding it. Then 1 minute once it is added and wait 5 mins. The one minute shake is critical to getting the mix correct and the 5 minute wait ensures the correct colour is reached.

If you are not running a filter in the fish bins but an dual airpump only can you get hold of a couple of sponge filters. You will still have to monitor the bins carefully as you will get an ammonia spike but careful monitoring plus frequent water changes, the addition of cycle etc will hopefully keep the levels down.

Clean out your old tank using good old muscle power, ie water and a cloth, no soaps or detergents and preferably not bleach. Rinse and scrub all your gravel, clean off your plants etc, filters and heater. You should not have to get rid of anything as it is possible to clean it all.

Good luck. If you have time keep a log this time of what you have done, when and how. Even doing it on this site is a good way to keep an up to date diary in case you strike issues. That is why I update my new tank set up each week, even when it looks as if not much has changed.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.

I've picked up 2 57ltr bins. The plants are passed saving (rotten), so I grabbed a few new ones when I was in town.

No spare filters at all, but certainly a reminder to get something for future use. I wont use any chemicals for cleaning.

Without filtration, will this be suitable for 3-4 hours? I'll do it tonight in one go.

Thank you. That is a very generous offer.

I was hoping to get it done tonight as I'm away with work quite a bit over the next few weeks. I'm thinking if I pull the rocks etc and clean prior to transferring fish, then I should be able to do it in 2-3 hours. I'll keep testing the ammonia in the bins to be safe.

They will be fine for 3-4 hours without filters however if you are not going to be around a lot over the next few weeks do you have someone who will be able to keep an eye on your tank and do water changes? You will get an ammonia spike in the next week or so if starting the tank afresh and adding fish. Cycle will help but wont do it all for you.

The work trips are only 1 night at a time, just lots of them. The most I'd be away from the tank is 36 hours which means I'll be there to keep a close eye.

I had a bubble tube running across the back of the tank previously, it clogged with slime so I centralized the outlet in one corner. It appeared to increase flow as there is more movement, but I'm still not sure which is the best option. Thoughts on this? Outlet at one end, one at each end or back to the tube??

This is going to sound like a really dumb question...

I'll transfer aquarium water into the bins with the fish. Do I transfer it back when I'm done? Will cycle be enough to make all new water safe? or do I do a mix of both?

Worried about a) ammonia in the bin water going back into the tank, and b) killing my fish by putting them into an uncycled tank

Sorry, dumb question, but this is my first full tank overhaul. Better to ask and look stupid than wind up with dead fish.

is there absolutely nowhere else in the house the tank can go to get out of the natural light of the current space?

Or even just to a different wall in the same room where you might be able to block off a pane of glass? My rasbora tank that had the same brown slime is a picture of perfection since I blocked the sunny pane - it's all gone and everything is green.

I changed the bulbs recently due to age. Installed 2 x 30W sunlight and 1 x tropical (aqua one).

No cannister filter (but is on the cards as not liking in-hood set up). Just unsure about what qty of water to transfer back due to ammonia. Only a few hours worth though. They'll be back in the main tank within 4 hours.

Hi Sophia,

I listened to your last advice and have kept curtains closed on sunny windows. No other areas I'm afraid as I have a very open full window typed house. Unless I put it in the back room which is never seen. It kept the green algae down, but this brown slime is increasing.

All the advice given here I take on board and is very much appreciated.

I'm going to gut the tank tonight, and see what happens with close monitoring and water changes over the coming weeks. I can't see any other option.

Ok will do.

Mental note for future...when removing and scrubbing plants...MAKE SURE YOUR BRISTLE NOSE IS NOT ATTACHED SO HE DOESN'T GET STUCK IN THE DRAIN!!

Quick spanner action and a kitchen cupboard flood with pipes everywhere and he's back swimming in the tank...

:(:(:(

But, did you know...

A bristlenose can survive in a drain pipe for 20 minutes before he is noticed missing, having cold coffee, 12 buckets of water, a pot rinsed and scrubbed with detergent, and an old tin of tuna dumped on him. He can also survive being dropped on the floor out of said pipe while a frantic nutbar woman is swearing her head off at a stupid wrench that won't open, while cursing herself for being the worlds worst fish keeper.

Tough nut that little sucker fish....