First time brine shrimp hatching

SamH

Hey guys, I'm new to the brine shrimp game, so new in fact I haven't bought anything.

My first question is, what do I need to buy to hatch brine shrimp? And I mean everything, eggs, hatcher, etc.

My second question is, what brand of egg mix is best?

Thirdly, are there any issues with feeding Betta fry brine shrimp?

Thanks!

Take off the airstone. Just use the tube.

To be honest, I find it a pain to use those upside down bottles. I haven't found a foolproof method to make sure it stays upside down without my cats knocking it over.

I just use a glass bottle, dump in water out of my marine tank and some eggs, pop a bubbler with an airstone on it and put it on the windowsill. 36 hours later, BBS!

Descaps are ok, but it's great to see the fish demonstrating their natural hunting mechanisms and chasing them down.

• 3 weeks later...

I rent as well so I just make 4 small holes around the bottom of the bottle (top when upside down) string nylon through and use the clip thing from my swivels in the tackle box to clip the loops together and hang it in the hot water cupboard, easy as pie.

On that note, was rather surprised when I dumped some bbs I'd had lying around in storage for 2 1/2 years and they actually hatched! Rate is probably less than when I bought them about 4 years ago but still of use yay!

I rent as well so I just make 4 small holes around the bottom of the bottle (top when upside down) string nylon through and use the clip thing from my swivels in the tackle box to clip the loops together and hang it in the hot water cupboard, easy as pie.

On that note, was rather surprised when I dumped some bbs I'd had lying around in storage for 2 1/2 years and they actually hatched! Rate is probably less than when I bought them about 4 years ago but still of use yay!

I'm using eggs that are probably 3-4 years old too, and they're doing pretty well. I was impressed!

Yea I remembered that, I more meant that I scoop the casings off the top of the water but then I still have unhatched eggs in the bottom and all along the slopped sides of the bottle and was wondering what method people use to get the bbs out whilst getting as few unhatched eggs as possible. I currently just let it all settle for a couple hours then unhook the airhose and drain the water through a coffee filter but I'm still getting some of the unhatched eggs.

• 2 weeks later...

this is my setup and I use a pipette to collect the 'crevettes' to feed them to the Axolotl larvas (big tadpoles love them too)... (we have very chlorinated water here in Naseby so I use 3 bottles, one is always running with just salted water for at least one day)

shrimps.jpg