"The List"

lmsmith

Lots of people talk about what species are allowed to be imported into New Zealand.

Not many people actually ever cite sources.

So here it is - the list of what ornamental fish and marine inverts can be imported into New Zealand.

mpi.govt.nz/document-vault/1782

Enjoy.

[attachment=0]fisornic.all.pdf[/attachment]

Lots of people talk about what species are allowed to be imported into New Zealand.

Not many people actually ever cite sources.

So here it is - the list of what ornamental fish and marine inverts can be imported into New Zealand.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files/ih ... ic.all.pdf

Enjoy.

So are these guys in here, maybe one boring day when some1 got nothing better to do they could ring up these guy for enquires!

happy trading :nilly:

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files/en ... l-fish.xls

considering you seem to be the main one complaining, why don't you ring them????

I have passed on their comments, I have put it forward to them what you want, and they have all said the same thing...

work out a way to make it worth their $$$$ and they will be happy to help.

they are trying their best to do things and they also always try to tack a couple of non earners onto every shipment. (BTW some top quality Clown knife fish just came in) btw just to give you an idea the current price of halfbeaks (as asked for) is around $20-$30 NZ thats before you consider shipping quarantine, holding and potential losses.... I dont see them being available anytime soon, even though they are high on my wish list.

also think about the step above the importers, maybe the EXPORTERS find that the species you are looking for are not worth their time....

considering you seem to be the main one complaining, why don't you ring them????quote]

I have!!!!!

if they got what i wanted, do you think i would still go on and on about it now???? :nilly:

my big Midas past away this week so iam replacing his argo &c:ry

• 1 year later...

If you are talking something that has never been on the list before it is very difficult and costs many thousands of dollars. Proof has to be shown that the fish pose no threat to native NZ fish and fauna, can not reproduce if released by accident in to NZ waterways etc etc.

Some fish have been 'added' in recent years but not of late. Added is in ' because they had been in the country many years before and documentation was available to prove this. This is the reason the Breeding Scheme the FNZAS was running was so important as documented proof was kept as to the fish in the country. Unfortunately people don't want to join clubs and can't or don't see the importance of it so it is pretty much now defunct.

Once on the list there is no guarantee importers will bother to bring them in as the cost can exceed the return. If they have to bring a large number in there is not the market and if they bring a small number in the cost rises, then by the time they are in the shops people won't pay the price. Unfortunately this has been proven time and time again here in NZ.

If I remember correctly there was an article in Aquarium World that explained briefly the process of adding fish to the list and/or importing fish yourself with quarantine facility etc. etc.

Yes incredibly expensive but if you're a millionaire with a passion to keep freshwater stingrays then yes it can probably be done.

Yes incredibly expensive but if you're a millionaire with a passion to keep freshwater stingrays then yes it can probably be done.

I imagine for something like that it will never get added to the list, your more likely to be able to get a special licence to be able to keep them. (Just speculating)

A little while ago it was discussed having all member add a list of fish they keep, if that was done it would be the nearest to a list of all the fish we get in NZ that we will ever have.

• 1 year later...