Fleas, puppy and Diatomaceous Earth

matildanz

We've discovered our new puppy has fleas. Whether she started it all or our two cats have bought them in I don't know but they're here. Cats have been treated but Pixel is only just 11 weeks so too small for anything more than baths and a good going over with a flea comb.

Obviously the house needs treating..... and I'm not keen on poison so wondered if anyone had tried DE to kill fleas? I've scoured the internet and it sounds like it's a good solution and I've been using food grade DE on my chickens and coop to kill any mites etc (works brilliantly by the way!). I have 4 tanks ranging from 30 litres to 5 feet all in the vicinity of the probably infestation so moving them all out isn't really an option.

Now I don't intend dusting the house madly (it may be food grade but I'm still going to be pretty careful) just a good dusting over the carpet and will confine pup to her pen away from the powder but just wondered if anyone had any better suggestions or ideas.

Thanks heaps

We've discovered our new puppy has fleas. Whether she started it all or our two cats have bought them in I don't know but they're here. Cats have been treated but Pixel is only just 11 weeks so too small for anything more than baths and a good going over with a flea comb.

How big is he? There are flea treatments for puppies, I think the guideline is 2kg and 6 weeks old, iirc.

Frontline spray can be used on anything from 4 weeks no matter the weight. I use it on my stray foster babies that come in with fleas. Does the trick almost instantly! :) If you've only just seen the fleas then I wouldn't bother treating the house - it's usually only needed in serious infestations :smln:

Beautiful wee pup btw! :love:

Thanks guys, will hold off on treating the carpet and continue combing her...... good for bonding too :) If they're keep recurring I'll look at dusting the carpet then.

And she is a bit of an acquired taste.... everyone is entitled to their opinion on dogs..... even if they're wrong!! :slfg:

I've used a product called Indorex spray from the vet with 3 tanks in the house with success.

I use it around his bed in the house and out in his kennel. Under couches etc..

Just cover the tank lids fully with towels. Close all doors and windows. Spray and an hour later open all windows and doors.

Goodluck.

As they say, Prevention is better than the cure.

Definitely. The eggs will be elsewhere, they hatch and then jump onto the dog. I believe they say what you can actually 'see' on a pet is only 5% of the population in the pet's local area (grosss huh!) and pretty much nothing stops them picking them up, a topical flea treatment will just mean they'll die.

Bonding is great, but there will be more,there are always more fleas!

Revolution is safe from 6 weeks old and does up to 2.5kg

Frontline spray is safe from two days old (not 4 weeks Miss Georgia! :wink: )

Frontline topical spot on is from 8 weeks old :)

And griffons are beautiful! Huge fan :) Love the name too!