Neon Tetra breeding

siftyzod

Hi there

i am after some detailed information on breeding tetras

i have heard many different ways to breed them i have heard u can use regular water and u need to use certain water conditions

anyway for the last year i have been trying all types of different ways to breed them and have no luck not even close to a spawning yet i have researched the internet hard.

if anyone here even from christchurch is willing to help me breed neons please let me know as i have fat girls ( i think they are girls) dying off in the tank as i was told they are most likely egg bound and its killing them off.

I have tried all the ways i have read on the internet and tried doing different ways and have had no luck at all...

ways i have tried is:

Using blackwater additive

peat water

indian almond water

plain water

ph down in the water

and not one of these has worked on any tetra but i can breed a pair of danios in 4hrs...

any information right now would be really good as i really want to learn how to breed these and its not like i havent trialed anything before asking

regards

Glenn

Cardinals are more sensitive to water conditions when breeding. Neons will breed in Christchuch tap water if you have a pair and you feed them well. The first eggs are often calcified and no good and they can be bred frequently after that. They do best as "teenagers" rather than old and trying to fill them up with eggs before spawning. They are easy to sex as the distending of the belly in the females distorts the colour lines also.They can be sensitive to velvet when spawning and many people add a drop of acriflavine--too much can cause temporary sterility.The eggs and fry are sensitive to light but less so than cardinals.

Cardinals are more sensitive to water conditions when breeding. Neons will breed in Christchuch tap water if you have a pair and you feed them well. The first eggs are often calcified and no good and they can be bred frequently after that. They do best as "teenagers" rather than old and trying to fill them up with eggs before spawning. They are easy to sex as the distending of the belly in the females distorts the colour lines also.They can be sensitive to velvet when spawning and many people add a drop of acriflavine--too much can cause temporary sterility.The eggs and fry are sensitive to light but less so than cardinals.

Thank you i am going to prepare a tank for 2 neons tomorrow and try again

i am hoping i have some success soon with them but i refuse to give up i think its more so i can say i did it :)

i will keep you posted how i go

You should get more than 2 neons! Try a school of 20.

Keep them in a tank where your not trying to breed them. Feed them up with as much high quality food as possible and daily water changes.

Let them settle for a week or two, but spend a lot of time observing, the females will be fatter, more rotund, fuller looking and usually over all larger in size (if all at the same age/food availability).

Remove them once you are sure they are females, into another bare bottom tank. This allows you to condition the females seperatly from the males so they fill with eggs. Feed plenty of food and live foods and constantly keep the bottom clean and siphoned. Leave them on there own for a week maybe a little more.

Make sure you've started your green water culture by this point.

When you think they are ready, cover the floor in marbles, add (if you can) twice as many males to female ratio and some moss, lower the water level to half and only allow ambient light into the tank. Leave the fish for 3 days and then promptly wip them back into their normal setup.

Add a small amount of green water a couple times a day for the first 3-4 days, also very small additions of water to the tank until it is full again. Then microworm milk for a week and after that a combination of crushed flake, microworms and BBS will help accelerate growth. You can remove the marbles once the fry are free swimming and have been eating a few days.

You should get more than 2 neons! Try a school of 20.

Keep them in a tank where your not trying to breed them. Feed them up with as much high quality food as possible and daily water changes.

Let them settle for a week or two, but spend a lot of time observing, the females will be fatter, more rotund, fuller looking and usually over all larger in size (if all at the same age/food availability).

Remove them once you are sure they are females, into another bare bottom tank. This allows you to condition the females seperatly from the males so they fill with eggs. Feed plenty of food and live foods and constantly keep the bottom clean and siphoned. Leave them on there own for a week maybe a little more.

Make sure you've started your green water culture by this point.

When you think they are ready, cover the floor in marbles, add (if you can) twice as many males to female ratio and some moss, lower the water level to half and only allow ambient light into the tank. Leave the fish for 3 days and then promptly wip them back into their normal setup.

Add a small amount of green water a couple times a day for the first 3-4 days, also very small additions of water to the tank until it is full again. Then microworm milk for a week and after that a combination of crushed flake, microworms and BBS will help accelerate growth. You can remove the marbles once the fry are free swimming and have been eating a few days.

hi there

thank you for the post..so the liquid in the microworms is fine to feed to fry??

also has this approach worked for you in breeding neons??

and also does the ph have to be anything other than normal...

i have seen so much conflicting information that now i dont know what is right or wrong

Ive never bred neons but i have bred glowlights, rasboras, cherry barbs, white clouds, danios in this fashion. I've never checked my water, I don't even used de chlorinater or additives. Just let the water for my water changes sit at room temp for a while and feed as much live food and high quality food as possible. I do use peat, Is also good to use mature fish and by increasing your numbers to 20 you increase your chances.

Ive never bred neons but i have bred glowlights, rasboras, cherry barbs, white clouds, danios in this fashion. I've never checked my water, I don't even used de chlorinater or additives. Just let the water for my water changes sit at room temp for a while and feed as much live food and high quality food as possible. I do use peat, Is also good to use mature fish and by increasing your numbers to 20 you increase your chances.

How do you use peat in the water i have seen conflicting ways of using it...

be interested to know how each person peats the water but i am going to try do a spawn in the regular water as stated above

im just going to try and see what works as i would like to get even just 1 spawn soon :)

In Christchurch water you can add Hauraki peat to a filter and leave it running on a bare tank of water then use that water in a small tank to spawn the fish over a trap such as marbles. I found netting to be easier to use to stop the eggs being eaten.Leaving the peat in the filter makes it easier to spot the eggs. I think acriflavine is better than meth blue. This way you can set up multiple pairs or trios so you get a lot of fry of the same age to raise at the same time. With Nothobranchius species I used to set up 20 small tanks at the same time with a trio in each. A lot easier in a heated fish house.