Dispose of unwanted fish in trash? World issues solved here!

GrahamC

And I am also saying its ridiculus that people outside of auckland have to pay for auckland roads.

If the 1.2 million people in Auckland just paid for Auckland roads, Auckland would be fine. But what about rural townships with less than 5,000 residents? How would they support all of the roads in, out and around their town? We're a country, I don't understand this division.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course you dont understand you live in Auckland. I am going to leave it at that as we have gone well and truly off the beaten track. I would be more then happy to continue this in another thread if you want to start one about it :slfg:

If the 1.2 million people in Auckland just paid for Auckland roads, Auckland would be fine. But what about rural townships with less than 5,000 residents? How would they support all of the roads in, out and around their town? We're a country, I don't understand this division.

yes, but have you seen the roads the smaller towns have to deal with???

seems strange that they spend millions of dollars just to save about 5 mins on everyones commute, yet leave the main streets of smaller towns (and many of the major highways around the country) untill they are literally falling apart

wow this really is the "off topic fishroom"

if you have a fish you dont want and nobody else wants it, kill it. kill it quickly. anyone who disposes of a living creature is crueler than someone who kills one just because they can't be bothered looking after it. killing a fish instanly is no big deal, it feels nothing. flushing an alive fish down the dunny, or letting one die slowly out of water is just plain evil.

The Off Topic Fishroom: A friendly place to discuss anything not specifically related to fish keeping. So come on in - put your feet up and kick back. Hey - everybodys got *another* hobby - right? Just remember - Keep it family friendly and polite!

Off topic topics should stay on topic :cofn:

What super highway ?

We sure as hell aint got one in Auckland.

Plus, I'm pretty sure Aucklanders along with non Aucklanders pay the same amount of tax on petrol , which in turn is used to fix roads not just in Auckland but nationwide.

Auckland has more roads than anywhere else because Auckland has 1/4 of the population.

If Invercargill had 1/4 of the population I'm sure they'd get the biggest chunk out of funding.

"Petrol tax rose by 2c a litre or 4 per cent this month, but Transport Minister Gerry Brownlee yesterday warned of further increases as he unveiled the National Land Transport Programme for 2012-15, which sets out most of the Government's transport spending over the next three years"

It prioritised ongoing work on the Government's roads of national significance and $3.4 billion of investment in Auckland (Geoff Dangerfield NZ transport agency cheif exec)( cited from NZ heareld)

50.524 cents - National Land Transport Fund Per Litre of fuel (AA motering) totaling 12 billion a year (NZTA)

Of that 12 billion each year 3.4 put into Auckland. However a further Proposed National fuel tax incl RUC – of 16 cents per litre to pay for Auckland roads (Auckland transport)

State Highway 20, also known as either the Southwestern Motorway, or the Mangere Motorway (wiki) was what I was refering to as the "super highway" It is often refered to as the super highway in common circles

More interesting reading

http://www.transport.govt.nz/ourwork/La ... %20tax.pdf

:smot:

I've already posted my thoughts on the original topic.

But as an :smot: I have recently done a trip to Auckland, and I can tell you now that Auckland is paying about 18c extra for petrol than Ngatea and Tauranga.

But it is also much more likely to be a car accident then a moterbike accident

Where do you get your figures from? Motorbikes are much worse than cars.

I figured the original topic was already covered in depth so why not continue the current dicsussion.

Of that 12 billion each year 3.4 put into Auckland

1/4 population, 1/4 of the total investment.

I don't see what's wrong with that ?

Ahh you're talking about the extension to State highway 20 to link up to the northwestern - that explains why they call it the super highway lol. it's super congested and super time consuming to travel @ peak hour :D

Where do you get your figures from? Motorbikes are much worse than cars.

No figures just logic. there is more cars on the road then bikes, so logic says there will be more car accidents then moterbike accidents.

I am nottaking into account serverity of accident, just chances of it happening

Did the gummerment not impose a extra tax on petrol around a 18 months ago to pay for the "super highway"?

yep, its about time Auckland had its roading infrastructure dragged out of the 80's, instead of having the large portion of tax it pays being distributed to pay for roads around the country. Anyone who believes Auckland is propped up by the rest of the country is pretty naive, the bulk of Aucklands roads are on average far busier than your average small town or rural road, and subsequently generate more revenue in the form of fuel taxes and RUC.

No figures just logic. there is more cars on the road then bikes, so logic says there will be more car accidents then moterbike accidents.

I am nottaking into account serverity of accident, just chances of it happening

Logic? How many cars do you see weaving through traffic?

It is a rare occasion to NOT see a motorbike overtake.