Dispose of unwanted fish in trash? World issues solved here!

GrahamC

http://www.infonews.co.nz/news.cfm?id=97184

The 25cm goldfish found by a pair of Blenheim schoolboys in one of the Taylor River inlets last week underlines the risks that ornamental fish and aquarium weed pose to our natural waterways.

“The message is clear: don’t flush away unwanted fish and don’t dump fish or weeds directly into the drains or the rivers and streams.”

Any unwanted fish and aquarium plants can be bought to the Council for disposal. They may also be put into the compost or put out in the household rubbish collection.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you imagine that the fish that you buy to eat has been humanely euthanised or just left to die out of the water? Does a fish need to be christened and given a christian (or muslim) burial, depending on what part of the world they are from? My dead fish end up in the rubish or on the compost heap.

Do you imagine that the fish that you buy to eat has been humanely euthanised or just left to die out of the water? Does a fish need to be christened and given a christian (or muslim) burial, depending on what part of the world they are from? My dead fish end up in the rubish or on the compost heap.

Dead fish you said. What about live ones you don't want?

My fish get a few words.

Dead fish you said. What about live ones you don't want?

They find new homes. No one is ever left behind.

I must be missing something - how is that you can flush a fish down the toilet and find it in a river?

Don't city/town toilets flush into sewers and then out to treatment plants?

In the recent past untreated human waste has been discharged into coastal Wgton waters ( Moa Point I think )

When I was in Wellington in 1971 the sewage discharged to the sea at Pencarrow. It would be hard for a freshwater fish to end up in a river from there.

The point I was trying to make was that if a live unwanted fish was put in the trash it would be treated in the same way as all the thousands of tonnes of fish caught for human consumption in NZ which are just removed from the water and allowed to die. It is OK to "play" a game fish for hours on a hook and line but if you did it with a bird you could be prosocuted.

Most sewerage systems have an overflow to rivers or the sea in cases of emergency such as during the disruptions to the system here during the recent quakes. There were signs all along the rivers warning of sewage contamination and to avoid contact with the water. Fishing was banned also.

too many suporter and cat lover out there... :an!gry

...bring on the CAT REGISTRATION FEE :thup:

I know this is way off topic but do you understand the logistics of all of that? It's bad enough trying to get the mongrel dogs registered, what makes you think that getting feral/rural cats (the ones who do most of the damage) registered is going to suddenly make them stop killing? That's if you could even get them registered in the first place, many cats won't even wear a collar. Sure, slap an extra $90 or so on the people whose cats lounge around inside all day and night, that'll fix the wild cat population. In fact, why not introduce a mouse and rat registration fee? Then billions of taxpayer dollars can be spent on getting little plastic tags for all the mice and rats in New Zealand and fix that issue too! Genius.

And on the original topic, it's pretty appalling that they wouldn't make it clear that only dead fish should be thrown in the trash. Yeah people do let their fish air drown but saying it's okay is a different story.

in queensland you get a bounty for cat tails

that is even better than a cat registration fee, and we should have it for possums as well (and rats and mice), would be cheaper than 1080 and a little incentive for all the people with lots of 'self-inflicted' spare time (hmmm, start a rat and mice breeding program and sell the tails to the government ey ?)

mates of mine, every time they are out in the bush hunting shoot cats if they come across one.

I know this is way off topic but do you understand the logistics of all of that? It's bad enough trying to get the mongrel dogs registered, what makes you think that getting feral/rural cats (the ones who do most of the damage) registered is going to suddenly make them stop killing? That's if you could even get them registered in the first place, many cats won't even wear a collar. Sure, slap an extra $90 or so on the people whose cats lounge around inside all day and night, that'll fix the wild cat population. In fact, why not introduce a mouse and rat registration fee? Then billions of taxpayer dollars can be spent on getting little plastic tags for all the mice and rats in New Zealand and fix that issue too! Genius.

I defenitely didn't think that one thru (I should go into politics).

it just frustrates me every time I have to pay dog registration fee for my two dogs and asking myself for what I have to pay it. do I really have to pay it to cover the damage occured by the early settler mongrels running loose everywhere ?

it just frustrates me every time I have to pay dog registration fee for my two dogs and asking myself for what I have to pay it.

I am sure the same applies to people with moter bikes, why should they have to pay more then a car rego, they have less wheels and more often then no a car is involved in an accident.

Diesel km's on cars are the same, they weigh the same as most petrol cars yet have to pay the same as a 3 or 4 tonne vechile which will do more damage to the road.

Same deal as car rego prices continusly going up for what reason?

:smot: :smot: :smot: :smot:

I am sure the same applies to people with moter bikes, why should they have to pay more then a car rego, they have less wheels and more often then no a car is involved in an accident.

It's mostly ACC levies. If a car hits another car nose to tail then the occupants will likely suffer a bit of whiplash at worst. But if a car rear ends a motorcycle, the injuries sustained by the person driving the motorcycle will be far worse. Hence the higher price, it just covers treatment of the injuries. There is reason behind it, they don't just do it for fun.

It's mostly ACC levies. If a car hits another car nose to tail then the occupants will likely suffer a bit of whiplash at worst. But if a car rear ends a motorcycle, the injuries sustained by the person driving the motorcycle will be far worse. Hence the higher price, it just covers treatment of the injuries. There is reason behind it, they don't just do it for fun.

But it is also much more likely to be a car accident then a moterbike accident, so why not charge more for car rego for that reason?

Another example is people outside of Auckland having to pay extra for our fuel so Aucklanders can have more highways, how does that at all make any diffrence to my life?

again well and truely off topic :smot: :smot:

I am saying that it is unfair that motercycle riders have to pay a ridiculus amount in rego when there is more often a car in a accident, more car accidents then moterbike accidents, more fatalitys in cars then moterbikes. why should they be picked on. more often then not they are only riden in the weekend as well. ( yes I know there is exceptions to the rule)

And I am also saying its ridiculus that people outside of auckland have to pay for auckland roads.

Both of these are sides on there own, I am not jumping fence on either argument as they are both diffrent discussions raised in the same point