What size filter + heater is needed for 1000l tank ?

hyjinx

they are rated to 1000l tho

I think their rating is in a nice toasty room giving only a few degrees temp differential. Not 10+ like would be common in most poorly insulated and heated NZ houses. I find a 300 w heater is marginal for a 450. Depending on the dimensions a 1000 would have twice or a bit less surface area so a pair of 300w ones would be marginal to ok. So I'd throw another in for insurance.

heating is a funny thing.

you can stretch your heaters and sacrifice water temp stability.

the more you have, the more stable your water is from experience.

big a 1000litre tank, 3 is fine IF you have the tank inside the house, where its relatively insutalted.

in a completely uninsulated garage, i suggest insulate the garage, you could use up to 6x 300w heaters and still lose too much heat during winter and cold nights.

i would recommend 4x 300w jagers (it has a better thermostat) that keeps temps closer to desired temps. that is the key with heaters, heat is heat no matter how it comes into the coils, under water, heat is efficiently transfered to the water regardless of brand, but jagers have good glass, good computers in them.

as for pump.

i would recommend 4 to 5 times mini8mum per hour, more is better but your overflow (generally speaking) will not be able to handle 10x per hour, you have to design a tank specifically for such flow, thats heaps.

you will end up topping the tank out too much i believe if you do that, if you have a comb, even worse.

As ira and zayne have just proven, your questions are far too vague to be answered accurately. Big tanks don't follow set formula very well, your turn over could be 2x or 10+x per hour depending on your bio load, sump set up and what your drains will handle. And the heating requirements will also vary greatly depending on the ambient air temp, the required temp for your fish and how efficient the set up is at retaining heat.

Is this Brian from westmere's old tank?

For heating a tank the old general rule of thumb is 1 watt per litre.

As I already said, rules of thumb don't apply to big tanks. My 1400L tank ran with two 300w jagers at a constant 28C, and one was enough to hold the temp most of the time. And I certainly don't plan on running 1500w+ of heating in my next big tank either...

Agree.

And as for the sump set up, I'd start suggest doing a lot of reading thru forums like the monsterfishkeepers.com 'set up and filtration' and 'DIY filters' forums. There is a wealth of information out there for sumps, and they can be incredibly cheap and simple, or complicated and expensive as you need it to be. Here is an example of a ridiculously simple sump thats doing a fine job of filtering a moderatly stocked tank; http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... Filtration

Yes it isn't as efficient as it could possibly be [as was pointed out, leading to a rather heated discussion...], but with the water parameters at 0, 0 and 10ppm it is certainly efficient enough. Something similar could easily be set up for a couple for hundred bucks with an old tank or plastic tub, some ceramic noodles and filter socks, and it would do the job well enough for most average set ups. The other end of the spectrum would have settling chambers, trickle towers, algae scrubbers, auto water changers/drip systems, moving media, multi-stage mechanical filtration etc etc, but IMO unless you're planning on a really heavily stocked tank then it probably isn't necessary.