Joe's Breeding Setup Adventure (selling everything now)

Joe

I can't seem to track down any drums, and there are a couple of places that might have them but its too far to walk but thats out of the question anyway because I wouldn't be able to carry a large drum back home on my own. I have repeatedly asked mum to take me to those two places over the last couple of weeks but she has been busy but she said she'll take me on Monday. Until I get this peat filter up and running, I cannot breed any tetras or the licorice gouramis because the tap water is too alkaline for them.

On the plus side of things though, both female trifasciata have spawned in the 140L tank so I am going to move the rest of the fish into the 85L tank that I was going to breed the neons in.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I have managed to source some 150L drums from a local condiment manufacturer for $10.00 each, and they have only had vingar in them :thup: The down side is that they don't have removable lids and only have a couple of holes at the top to fill them so it means that I will have to somehow have to cut the tops of the drums off so I will be able to put the peat and filter wool in, but then I will have to try and find something to cover them with. Also I can't get them yet because they won't fit in mum's car.

I also now have 15 Sundadanio axelrodi and 15 more Green Neon Tetras, bumping the shoal up to 25. The Green Neons look so cool in a large group! The Sundadanios are really small but they are quite strong and robust little fish like the Neons. The blue on the Sundadanios is more of a softer iridescence and it isn't as electric as the colour on the Neons. I actually wish I got more Green Neons instead of the Sundadanios, but then I wouldn't have known what the Sundadanios were like and I still would have been wanting them. But all in all, they are both very healthy, active and nice looking fish and they don't have any deformities, and I do not regret my purchase.

I have also cut up the mest into panels ready to put together for the breeding trap. I have made two different sizes; 30x25x15cm and 30x20x20cm.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a massive whitespot outbreak and have lost almost everything. The only unaffected fish are the Licorice Gouramis so hopefully nothing happens to them. The Apistogramma trifasciata don't have whitespot either but they do seem to be quite stressed.

I will not be breeding anything in the near future and I will not update this thread again.

Thanks guys. Hopefully I manage to save a few fish but it doesn't look like there will be many survivors. I have around 7 or 8 Green Neons left and quite a lot of them don't look very well. I also have no more than 7 Axelrod's left, although most of them look quite healthy and only have a few spots. But if I can save at least the Licorice Gouramis and Apistos then I will be happy.

I will probably just get some cheap and easy to breed fish next. I'm thinking something something along the lines of Odessa Barbs. Celestial Pearl Danios might also be another option since they are really easy to breed too. I raised quite a few fry (about 35) past the 30 day mark, however only 7 fully matured and the rest died because I didn't realize that they needed constant feeding. Now that I have all the parts for a brine shrimp hatchery I shouldn't have a problem rasing them.

I feel for ya mate. It's pretty obvious to anyone that reads your posts that you put an insane amount of care and attention into your fish, so it really sucks that something like this should happen to you. I hope you get it sorted and can get back into breeding as soon as possible.

I have plenty of odessas if you want some Joe, once the whitepot has gone.

Thanks so much Caryl! You're the best :hail:

I feel for ya mate. It's pretty obvious to anyone that reads your posts that you put an insane amount of care and attention into your fish, so it really sucks that something like this should happen to you. I hope you get it sorted and can get back into breeding as soon as possible.

Thank you for your kind words.

I spent this evening fishing out dead and dying neons. It's kinda funny - every time I pulled one of those little faded bodies I thought to myself, "That's $8.90 down the drain" :facepalm: When purchasing them though I do know that I was taking a risk that something like this could happen. It would be a lot better if I was working with cheaper fish which is what I plan to do, but if I didn't get the neons in the first place I'd still be wanting them :wink: Anyway, I still have all of the Reed Tetras, Licorice Gouramis, Apistogramma trifasciata and 7 Axelrod's - 2 females and 5 males. I might pick up some more Axelrod's from Organism if we go down to Christchurch later on in the holidays, maybe even some CPDs because like I said earlier I've found them very easy to breed :thup:

Sorry to read that - sucks bigtime :cry:

Probably the last thing you wanna hear now - but that is the exact reason you have to have a quarantine tank! Every fish I get from the outside has to go through a 4 week quarantine.

After one week of acclimatization (food, water, routine) I start a prophylactic treatment with NaCL (non-plus-ultra for livebearer) for a week. In the second week I put a couple of rubbish fish from my stock in the quarantine tank together with the new ones + use water from my tanks to do waterchanges in the quarantine tank. This will show two things:

1.) Is my stock okay with the bugs the new ones will bring in (and they always do bring some !)?

2.) the other way round gives the new ones a chance to get used to my bugs.

If everything looks fine after two more weeks they are good to go. In 20 year of keeping livebearers I never had any problems...

Hope that helps,

JaSa