Joe's Breeding Setup Adventure (selling everything now)

Joe

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know what happened, but the fry hatched and disappeared. I think they got eaten by the male trifasciata again :facepalm: Next time I'm going to remove him.

Or actually, I suppose what I could do is just breed them in the main tank and siphon any fry into one of the 80L tanks.

• 3 weeks later...

So far I've had no luck with the trifasciata :( I'm going to put them back in the main tank, and when they spawn I will move the fry into the breeding tank, as well as filling at least 70% of the breeding tank with water from the main tank so they don't get too much of a shock. From there they shouldn't be too hard to raise...

Also today I'm dismantling both tanks because I've found some nice shade cloth to put underneath. Now I don't need to have substrate in the tanks anymore. And I must say, the sand from Caryl looked awesome but it was such a pain to keep it clean! :lol:

I can't breed the Licorice Gouramis or Green Neons until I get a peat filter, so I'm going to keep one tank free so when I get the gear needed I can make whatever adjustments necessary to the tank to set it up for breeding them right away. Until then I'll move the Super Red caca into the tank so he has a bit more room. He doesn't like being cooped up in that little net breeder very much :(

why don't you just put some peat in a stocking and sit it in the tank? Then you'll get the tannins and water softening but not have to wait for the filter.

Another thing I've seen is putting the peat in a lunch box, cut a reasonable sized hole in the lid, soak the peat in water and then dump the whole thing in the tank. THat's how the peat laying killies lay their eggs, they go into the box to do it, but I think it would do the same as the stocking idea too.

I've tried putting peat in a tank before. I did it ages ago and the water was so dirty and it didn't clear at all. Luckily I did it while there weren't fish in it. Also it didn't soften the water at all.

A peat filter compresses the peat and somehow filters out the dissolved minerals that make the water hard, as well as adding tannic acid at the same time to make the water soft.

http://www.marksfish.me.uk/index.php/Ti ... ering.html

Thanks! :D

Today I'm going to dismantle the second tank and put shade cloth underneath. This tank will be for the Green Neons. I'll cut some shade cloth to go on the sides too, since the fry are light-sensitive. I'll also construct the breeding trap, and I should be able to get the bits I need for the peat filter soon because mum owes me some money :P

Large drum (200-300L) with a 10mm hole drilled in the bottom, with some filter wool on the bottom and then a whole lot of peat on top. This will be positioned above another drum/bucket that has a tap, so the peat water can collect in the bucket and I can use it whenever I need to.