Arowana

buzzy

Buzzy asked:

ive read that crickets are good for them but can you get them in n.z?

:) You must live on a different planet... there's countless millions of them :)

But if you want to shell out the bucks... then try here..

http://www.ak.planet.gen.nz/~bio

And if you want some inspiration... try here :)

http://www2.wbs.ne.jp/~arowana/egallery.htm

Bill.

Lots of links leading to useful things in the Technical Section under "Useful Links"

At the aquarium in napier we just fed their silver arowana strips of fillited fish and he seemes alright :D . The only thing yopu have to watch for is he's fast when he eats and his mouth is huge :o also are his teeth :o:o . If i got one i would get it when it's small so it would get used to me. :D

We have a Silver Arowana that is about 55cm. We go it about 8 months ago now and it lives in a 7.6ft tank. It doesn't like all the tank mates its had, its killed 2 red tailed sharks and we've had to get rid of 2 pacu because it took a dislike to them. I would also reccommend getting a young one so you can train it what to eat. Our one can be quite fussy. We feed it on herrings (live and dead) he likes to chase the live ones round the tank and stalk them.At the moment it is being a pig and will eat about 3 a day if we let it. I also started breeding mice for it but if you want to feed it mice just buy the ocasional young one or wait for the cat to get one. It does like them but they're more like a treat and it'll only eat one every month or so. So breeding them you end up with heaps that it wont eat. Sometimes it won't eat for a month or so its nothing to get concerned about it'll eat again when it feels like it. At the moment it is really friendly and follows me round. If you would like photos just email me.

Hi i used to feed mine uncooked prawns, and when i shifted him on, the guy who took him was feeding him cichlid pallets and he ate them ok.

I hope you have a huge tank cause they get massive, my old silver aro has now been moved to Auckland zoo he is about two foot long and growing.

Depends on what sort you are after, i have seen silvers for $100-120 or then you can get exotic ones which are heaps. I never had any probs with my aro and plants, they pretty much keep to the top of the tank but i guess it depends on the aro. I can tell you that they can be very skiterish when young and do some real damage to themselves by hitting the top of the tank.

My advice would be get a young one and feed it pellets/prepaired foods right from the start. Maybe give it feeders occasionally as a treat [i gave mine feeders twice in two years]. IMO that makes them less aggressive, I never had a problem with mine being kept with all sorts of other fish.

Yea they do loose there colour, and i have seen them for sale a lot cheaper than what he is asking, that was a while ago though.

Every silver aro that i have seen has got drop eye usually in one eye, so thats something to watch out for, i dont think that exotic ones are as prone to getting it, though they still can get it.

Hi! like others have said, i would recommend you get a small one. First, they are cheaper compared to fully grown ones and their eating habbits may vary. But this is entirely up to you. When you do get one you can feed it crickets, baby goldfish, uncooked prawns and several others. My opinion its always best to feed it live food. Another thing to note is when feed a fully grown arowana live baby goldfish you would want to chuck one at a time. If you chuck in about lets say 5 fish in the tank at once chances are there would be survivors that would swim near the bottom of the tank. Having such thing happened the fish would always look downwards to view its prey, and knowing that it is a top feeder it is not very good on its eyes. Continuous starring to the bottom may cause eye injury to the fish, as i said it happens over time. My mates fish needed eye surgery because one of the arowana's eye flipped over. well anyways hope this helps.. :D

Cheers Dan

Hi Buzzy, I have a 2ft Silver Arowana too. I hope you have a big tank for holding the fish you intend to buy coz they grow real big. Make sure you put your tank at a spot that does not have much ppl traffic infront of it, they spook very easily. And make sure you cover the tank with some thing solid coz they can jump. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

hi dont worry, i already have one hes just on 1foot now,i think there so cool.much better than the discus i had in my tank.hes such a pig just eats and eats till his belly is so round.i love watching him chase the goldfish i put in there ahhaha