Woohoo... Golden Saum eggs

Wok

• 3 weeks later...
I have just seen that my Golden Saum have laid eggs 2 days ago.

Now it is a waiting game. :cofn:

Good luck Wok. Hope they hatch and survive.

Need to catch up with you about conference at some stage too. This time I will not forget! :oops:

ummm... imo very easy to breed, listed as a good breeder for beginners in a book from 1965

Relatively straightforward, provided you can obtain a compatible pair. Unfortunately matching adult fish is a tricky process, with males often killing females if they are simply added to the tank together. Some hobbyists have had success by inserting a clear divider in the middle of the tank and allowing the male to get used to his potential partner this way, removing the divider after a few weeks. A far more preferable and easy method is to buy at least 6 young fish and allow them to pair off naturally. Once a pair forms it’s wise to remove the other fish, and tankmates of any kind are not an option beyond this point, as they will almost certainly be killed when spawning commences. The aquarium should be set up as suggested above with slightly soft and acidic water of pH 6.5-7.0 and a temperature of 75°F. It’s best to use air-powered filtration as fry may be sucked up by power filters. A variety of flat stones will provide potential spawning sites. Feed the fish lots of live and frozen foods to bring them into condition.

The fish become sexually mature at around 4-6″ and once you have a pair they should breed without too much encouragement from you. Spawning can often be initiated by performing a large (30-50%) water change with cool water. The pair will choose and then thoroughly clean a spawning site within their territory. This may be a flat rock, large flowerpot, or a pit excavated from the substrate. Spawning occurs in a similar fashion to many other cichlids, with the female laying a line of eggs before moving away, allowing the male to take her place and fertilise them. Up to 400 eggs may be fertilised in this manner. The eggs hatch in around 3-4 days, and during this period the male will defend the spawning site while the female tends to the eggs. Upon hatching the fry are moved to a pre-excavated pit in the substrate where they remain until they become free swimming. This usually takes another 6-8 days, and at this point they can be fed microworm, brine shrimp nauplii and powdered dry foods. They should be left in with the parents until broodcare begins to diminish (usually around 6 weeks), as if they’re removed the male may attempt to spawn with the female again, and if she isn’t ready to do so he may turn on her.

from seriouslyfish.com

• 3 weeks later...

Right. Lost the first lot of fry and currently on my second lot.

this time I can see the fry, last time I did not see them at all.

Now, the true test is in regards to trying to raise the lot. but I have another 2 Golden Saum in the tank as well as GBA and little tiger plecs.

fingers crossed this time, and regular water changes. heaps of plants in the tank too, but if Mr and Mrs Saum keep digging them up, there won't be.

• 5 weeks later...

Right, this is the 3rd lot of fry, and they seem to be growing, and have learnt not to swim next to the filter intake pipe.

They are now swimming around the top of the tank instead of hanging around the bottom.

Lets hope I get some that survive.