Fly Trap Tips.

Devo

I got a couple of the "Greenhand" small fly traps off Trade Me. We've got a few recently morphed Whistling Tree frogs, so want to catch flies to feed them.

Well the good news is...the fly traps work :happy1:

The bad news is...they are only catching blow flies :o

These blow flies are way too big for the little Whistlers...

We seem to still have heaps of the smaller house flies around, but these don't go into the traps. Any tips on how to trap these smaller house flies? I'm using meat as the bait...should I use different bait? Any tips or tricks to get these little flies?

Cheers, Andrew.

one time i had a use for flies and we had heaps around outside that year which was lucky.They all used to sleep on the tar paper on the roof of the carport and garage.So i would wait till they got a bit dopey whenit cooled off and made a little mesh bag to fit inside the old vacum cleaner i use for the shed.Would just go around and suck them up as they slept and then take the bag full of flies and chuck them in the tank.Another method was to get a net and run through long grass catching whatever,also used a quad bike like this and got heaps of baby crickets and grasshoppers,just tipped them into a bucket and whacked the lid on quick.

The meat is now a couple of days old, & getting nice and smelly.

We have a few other traps catching fruit flies, so dont want more of these...what I really want is the small house flies, as the Whistlers are now eating them, and they're a good meal for a Whistler.

So the question is...how do I catch the small house files in the Greenhand traps?

• 2 weeks later...