Goldfish spitting out food - anyone got ideas as to why?

wordhappy

Some thoughts on pre-soaking ....

Pros:

Food ends up quicker on the sand bed, and this gives a better chance for all the gold fish to have a feed since you're restricting the food to a single layer. Those fish with poor eye sight ( exophthalmos ) can compete against the normal eyed fish. Celestials may not be better off though.

Gold fish like to root among the sand bed anyway

Food that floats when you have a hang on back filter tends to get pushed into the filter. Turning off HOBs can be painful because many do not self prime.

Poor quality pellets and flake can swell a lot. Perhaps better it swells outside than inside.

Cons:

If you use a gravel bed, you'll lose a lot between the gravel

There's some loss of nutrient if you soak too long.

Let the flaming begin!

My presoak is just to dump some flakes in a cup of tank water, throw some pellets in as well, and once my nespresso is ready, pour it all in. And it seems to work as the black moors get their fair share on the bottom of the tank.

All my other fish just get the flake or whatever chucked on to the surface. I've got angels that seem to only eat the flake while it's floating. If it sinks past them, they seem to ignore it.

I suggest everyone do whatever suits their fish best. This vary between individuals. :dunno:

For those interested, get a glass of water and drop a bit of various types of food in it. Leave it for a few minutes and see what difference there is in size. Some of those cheap pellets swell a LOT.

Hi everyone, the discussion is very interesting and educational (and amusing) :wink:

Just thought I'd update to let you all know the fishies are eating again without much spitting. The peas seemed to do the trick (no stringy poo any more).

Dorsal fins are erect, fish are active and eating well. :happy2:

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Haven't been on here in ages. But on the peas and goldfish, I used to feed my goldfish peas once a week.

I just lost my last goldfish before Christmas. Personally, I will not have goldies again because they are better off in a bigggggggggg tank.

Take care,

Caper

• 10 years later...

I have a few gold fish just got them I got a filter the water conditioner the aquarium salt the safe start the food is brand new just opened it yesterday the filter is working the tank is newly cleaned other than the 24 hrs they've been in it what am I supposed to do 

The water is at 75f 

There swimming around good 

Do I get them a different brand of food I got them tetra goldfish flakes 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Fishy06. Feeding them flakes is fine. I guess, like us, they would like variety but i have always kept to the same food for my goldfish and they haven't complained 🙂

Goldfish  are cold water species so do not need to be in water that warm but it will not hurt them.

How many goldfish do you have and what size is the aquarium or pond they are in? If you have just filled up a container, added safe start, and several goldfish, then you are going to have problems. Google the aquarium cycle to get an understanding of what is needed. Even with safe start the fish need to be added slowly.

Do you have any plants in there? The fish will like them. Goldfish are really hard on most plants, as they eat them. You should be able to go to your local river and get oxygen weed for them. It needs to be washed very thoroughly before adding it to the tank though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2012 at 9:36 AM, wordhappy said:

Hi everyone, the discussion is very interesting and educational (and amusing) :wink:

Just thought I'd update to let you all know the fishies are eating again without much spitting. The peas seemed to do the trick (no stringy poo any more).

Dorsal fins are erect, fish are active and eating well. :happy2:

Thank you!

As a newcomer, I, too, was interested in reading everything. But I found a lot of useful tips here!