Live or dry rock to start?trustworthy suplier near Hamilton

Rob2904

I am very new to Marine, as in I am only at the study up stage......I am in no hurry to get my tank cycled and am just shutting it down from FW. I was wondering if could pick everyones brains?

Q1.

As I dont mind waiting 3-4 even 5-6 months cycling my tank (gives more time to get more money for better gear) is it better to go with slightly cheaper dry rock apossed to live rock as I wont be adding stock for a long while?

Q2.

I have a 430L tank and a 50L sump, do I really need 48kg of rock even if it will be lightly stocked, could I add small amounts of rock as go after cycling about 25-30kg? understanding the rock in itself when added will spike ammonia so would add smaller amounts at a time.

Q3.

Is there anywhere in Auckland, Hamilton or Rotorua that are reliable and trustworthy places to get good rock, without being sold base rock at high prices?

Ive always gone with dead dry rock,

1. It comes pest free

2. you know its not leeching nitrates or phosphates into your system

3. you can drill it and tie it all together for the shapes you want

4. if you have a bit of time to cycle it then that will be perfect for you, you go through all the stages of algal blooms but

if you wanna keep it clean keep the lights off but IMO just get it running get the lights on it let it do its thing, you cant come out with something spectacular under 6 months

it all takes time.

I have a question regarding cycling dead rock.

I'm still at the very early stages of planning a marine tank and was wondering if I could cycle the rock before I had the lights?

I was planning on putting the water in and starting the process, ordering the lights and chucking them on in a month or two when they arrive from the US (LED's)

Would that be OK?

Also, would I need powerheads to move the water and do I need a protein skimmer during the cycling process (trying to figure out what I need to pay for up front)?

Cheers

Dave

Im also at the same stage of setting up from what im aware.

Put your skimmer in a tank or container.

Add dry rock and salt water.

Plenty of water movment from power heads also add heater.

Leave for about 6-8 weeks to cycle.

This will mini cycle again when lights and live rock are added put will speed up the process of having a bare tank.

Correct me if im wrong new to the dark side. :dunno:

all correct except for the fact you shouldnt need a skimmer,

dont need lights. Just circulation, correct sg of salt in the water

and temperature.

There isnt any proteins in the water ie no fish food or fish or waste,

you can throw a bit in to kick if off like half a shrimp from your supermarket

help the bacteria along then you could throw in your skimmer if you want. but not necessary.

:thup: