Breeding Siamese Fighters

dlums

Hi All,

It's been a while since I was last on here. As a stopped breeding fighters for a while now, I noticed that there is no one that has carried on with the legacy.

Has the demand for fighters dropped off in NZ or is there just no fighters available anymore.

I absolutely love these fish and really wish we could get more of them in NZ.

Have any of you out there still got some beautiful halfmoons or crowntails or is this fish slowley disapearing :cry: .

Adrienne how are you going with your fighters, it's been a while since we spoke and exchanged fighters.

Anyway hi again to all and hope to hear from all of you fighter breeders out there.

Regards

J

Yes I remember that. I used to sell heaps of my fighters to her. It's a shame that people out there are so desperate that they would steal a fish in order to satisfy their needs.

Hopefully there are still breeders out there.

Regards

J

No I haven't given up on fighters - I had a total hip replacement in October and am heading overseas shortly so will not be starting back on them seriously until mid year. There are a couple of serious breeders around still but due to varying circumstances they have had to take a break for a while. The theft did put me off, but I received overwhelming support from one source (you know who you are).

Yes, the market was well overloaded with them and a lot of them were and still are, crappy looking fish. I know of lots of people who tried to breed their so called crowntails and halfmoons and came up with awful looking fish, this has put them off trying as fighter breeding is labour intensive. Its hard for people to understand that because there are so few females that come in with anything other than veil tails you need to breed several spawns to get a really good line going. It requires dedication and you need to be prepared to cull the majority of your spawn rather than on sell anything that is not good.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol I still have them in my tank :P

I knew a couple of breeders in Hamilton and Auckland.

My fry are now 7 days old but ran out of live foods this morning. Kind of on the hungry day for them until tonight.

Worry not, those fighters won't be dying out from NZ that fast :)

Mine is emerald male + steel female crown = not sure what the fry will come out in 1 month from now.

An another batch is 8 days old. It is a cross of blue plaket with bronze dragon female halfmoon female.

No I haven't given up on fighters
:thup: :happy1:

This is very good news

I have pk spawn but all are females except for one male :( I was pretty disappointed. But yeah, I still breed when I find a decent pair to work with. Lately all the shops round here are VTs and low quality CTs. Still trolling trade me though for some good ones.

There is a guy on trade me with some rather nice fighters. I tried breeding them mid last year, but I gave up because I didn't have the time required to do it successfully with school and everything. I'd love to try again one day, but right now, I'm in the middle of moving houses and don't have any fish tanks running.

They are my still favourite fish though and I'd hate to see all the quality lines die out here. :(

There is a guy on trade me with some rather nice fighters.

if he's the same guy i seen on there with the decent looking ones, i wish he did delivery, they all seem to be from up north and pickup only.

there is one person who does delivery only, but very limited description, and dont like the answers to questions, and dont really want to breed with something i have no idea what it is (VT's with crowns or HM's etc).

Currently have a almost completely red CT(a bit of blue on his Pelvic fin) im going to try to breed with a Very dark, with blue iridescence HM girl(almost looks like Black Orchid). fingers crossed it will be successful.

if he's the same guy i seen on there with the decent looking ones, i wish he did delivery, they all seem to be from up north and pickup only.

Yeah, I bought a couple from him before and it is ages away. They are nice fish though; kind of big, but that isn't too much of a problem. :)

will get some pics when im not working, prob this weekend.

But nothing impressive, its just a 40*30*20 for breeding in, they(my faves) live in a 90 long community when not breeding, and a 70(ish) long grow out tank setup and ready.

Have several acrylic holders that i made up just small ones also use these to take decent pics, they look nicer than coke bottles lol, and they also suction to the side of a full tank so just float in place.

planning on a bigger community tank in april(B'day :D) so will use the 90 as a grow out tank, and having another breeding tank built with 4 breeding bays and a grow out section(about 1200 long is the plan, will probably start a build log)

planning on releasing the female this weekend(still learning with bettas, had 1 successful yet small spawn, and a few unsuccessful) but have studied alot and have done some genetics studies before and wanting to get a decent line going, just need to find some nice stock to start with.

*** actually, ill see if i got any pics on my facebook or Phone.

@Gaz

Breeding Siamese is quite easy. First you'll need to introduce the female to the male.

Put her in a jar or bottle inside the tank for 1 to two days. Look at her behaviours and his. If he stop attacking the jar then it is a sign that he will be making bubble nest already or soon.

The female will now flaring up when the male comes close to her. She then will flare head down and tail up. Once you see this then you can release the female. Make sure you feed them live foods for that duration. If the female is getting bitten by the male really bad in the first 5 to 10minutes then put her back in the jar again for another day until she start flaring at him again and release her back in there. He will now start luring her into his bubble nest.

After 3 hours or so, you'll get hundreds of eggs :) Female will help picking up the eggs and place it in the nest until the whole spawning is over. Once it is over, the male will not let the female goes near the eggs. Though she won't eat it, she wanted to look after it as well, but there is a chance she can't control her self.

Male will flare at her and push her down, if she insist then he'll attack her. This is the time to take the female out, throw her some antibiotic water and life foods. She won't start eating right away. She'll swim toward the corner and being depressed for half of day before she starts eating once again.

:) Good luck and god speed

The hardest part of spawning is finding the right food for the fry once it is 3 days old. Take the male out (free swimming fry) and feed him. I find feeding microworm causing the water to go bad and brought in disease like valvet or ich on the fry. Which will kill it eventually.

I feed them Brine Shrimp. They are now 2 weeks and 4 days now (2 weeks 1 day since free swimming). They are starting to showing colour already :) fat healthy fry.

Hi All,

It's been a while since I was last on here. As a stopped breeding fighters for a while now, I noticed that there is no one that has carried on with the legacy.

Has the demand for fighters dropped off in NZ or is there just no fighters available anymore.

I absolutely love these fish and really wish we could get more of them in NZ.

Have any of you out there still got some beautiful halfmoons or crowntails or is this fish slowley disapearing :cry: .

Adrienne how are you going with your fighters, it's been a while since we spoke and exchanged fighters.

Anyway hi again to all and hope to hear from all of you fighter breeders out there.

Regards

J

I gave up breeding fighters mainly due to lack of space and the poor quality of fighters that were being circulated (at the time). I was also fed up with people cross breeding different tail types, destroying strong genes and everyone's hard work. Not to mention the constant fights, stealing and demands for certain types and colours.

I gave up breeding fighters mainly due to lack of space and the poor quality of fighters that were being circulated (at the time). I was also fed up with people cross breeding different tail types, destroying strong genes and everyone's hard work. Not to mention the constant fights, stealing and demands for certain types and colours.

Well this is why I'm breeding mine back to crowntail and keeping the fry the same colour. Also I love short tail fighters because they. are more active and more better immune system. I had a blue plaket and a combtail multi colour male (black red green) and the same colour female. Also I got a copper female as well.

I hate those veil tail long fins. They are so ugly and prone to fin diseases. My combtail tail isn't very lobg like those veil tail bit long enough and still keep him moving fast. Not as fast as the plaket of cause. I also got a pure cambodian female or male I'm not sure. It Juat won't spawn but it will bite anything in its path.

I see both sides of crossing certain tail types. One side is that since our selection is tiny we dont want to make it even harder to get decent fish by creating mutts however, if you are working towards a goal we kind of have to make do with what we can get hold of

I'm pretty excited I just bought a little dragon influenced turquoise girl with dt geno :thup: I'm still debating which guy i should breed her to, I'm leaning towards my little blue pk since the dragon should thicken up his scaling and F2 should bring up some nice pks. Cant wait for her to arrive, I havent shipped a fish in ages, its always exciting.

Also I love short tail fighters because they. are more active and more better immune system

I agree, plakats are by far the best ones! :D

I hate those veil tail long fins. They are so ugly and prone to fin diseases

I dunno, when they are bred well they can be amazing looking fish. This guy even reaches 180 :o I would love to have this VT.

fissh.jpg

I see both sides of crossing certain tail types. One side is that since our selection is tiny we dont want to make it even harder to get decent fish by creating mutts however, if you are working towards a goal we kind of have to make do with what we can get hold of

I'm pretty excited I just bought a little dragon influenced turquoise girl with dt geno :thup: I'm still debating which guy i should breed her to, I'm leaning towards my little blue pk since the dragon should thicken up his scaling and F2 should bring up some nice pks. Cant wait for her to arrive, I havent shipped a fish in ages, its always exciting.

I agree, plakats are by far the best ones! :D

I dunno, when they are bred well they can be amazing looking fish. This guy even reaches 180 :o I would love to have this VT.

fissh.jpg

Nice colour but I still hate the tail :(

It would be nicer with Yellow fin with black trim fin edge blue or turtoise blakats :)

Love it when they swim around and when flaring. Mine is a male betta SpadTail I guess, I don't know, I bought it as a crowntail + plakat cross but his tail was never gone crown. His top fin and bottom showing some crown trait. Oh well I breed him with the same colour female crowntail and I hope to get some good nice colour and tails from the fry.

I got so many fry :( but no space for them all.

I will always be fond of veiltail fighters -

here are a few pics of the first ones I bred 4-5 years ago

veiltailmale.jpg

forum4.jpg

This is the first double tail I ever owned - a male

purchased as a female veiltail :sml1:

dtmale.jpg

Trilobite, I would recommend crossing a plakat with anything with a double tail gene. You will get a better tail structure.

This guy here was supposedly from two pure halfmoons purchased from two different breeders - note the tiny nick in his tail - several of this spawn were dt

multihm3.jpg

a plakat male - very different to the ones coming in at the moment. I managed to keep this line going for about 18 months before I ran out of unrelated mustard gas females

mustardgasmale20feb.jpg

and a black halfmoon which I also managed to keep the line going for about 1 1/2 years until once again I could not source high enough quality females

blackdeltatail1.jpg

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are breeding and what comes out of the breeding is not really good then do not breed on with that line. Try again and again and again. You will succeed but it is not quick and easy. Search the internet and view pictures of the results of crossing tail types so you know what you should be getting. Good luck. :D

I love the green plakat and the cambodian one :) beautiful.

I got one double tails in my spawn but I think he/she is not dead dued to fin rot a few days ago. :(

You will probably have more than one - they are the fry that swim funny, ie flick from side to side when they swim. Often its take me a while to find my dt.

You will probably have more than one - they are the fry that swim funny, ie flick from side to side when they swim. Often its take me a while to find my dt.

Not sure, for now there is no double tails that I can spot in my tank lol. They are all single tail. I saw one but that was before fin rot start. It was a good two tails also. But now may be in betta heaven. :( Sorry fishy

• 7 years later...