starting from scratch ( pic heavy )

Bishop

Day 14.

Unimpressed with java growth, but everything else has had to be trimmed. Lights are dull so have new ballasts on the way which should help.

Switched to PPS dosing system today which looks promising. Its amazing how cheap dry ferts are.

Diatoms are about to cover everything :fshi: and some early signs of BBA seems to have subsided.

Added 2 Siamese algae eaters, Advertised as black line flying foxes :slfg: and 10 Cardinal tetras.

DIY skimmer which is the JIF bottle, seems to work okay in short bursts.

Hygro Difformis added But hidden at the back till I can prune them and replant them.

This fish hobby thing is expensive. But things are looking up.

Need some Ludwigia Arcuata if anybody has some?

ta3kqq5.jpg

I should add. The roots coming in from the top left are what I can only seem to identify as a pine. Which I found three stems growing in my garden randomly as there is none around me.

Going to leave the roots in there till I can plant them.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 28

Bit of growth happening and tank is starting to fill in. Have to wait ages for the emersed plants to have immersed growth.

Fair bit of BBA which I think is due to the bulbs being old as everything else seem correct. So will have to get the wood out at same stage and clean it off.

a9UY49U.jpg

Brought a 6 plug for my timers only to realize when I got home the timers faced the wrong way. Took them apart and rewired them so they faced the way I needed them to.( Away from the 6 plug )

euGszAv.jpg

C02 diffusion was quite rubbish and my glass bubble counter has too small bubbles. Interested in an inline diffuser but at $40 I made my own just to see how good they were. and went back to the DIY bubble counter which is much better imo. Bit budget but it actually works well.

p8XJHSk.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ended up needing 4 new bulbs as I had put off buying new ones for quite some time and my CO2 regulator fell over and Damaged one of the gauges so now it just looses CO2.

Diatoms still over throwing my tank.

I swear this tank is cursed.

Anyway the fast growing plants were growing too fast and I lost motivation to prune them.

Decided on moving my plants to a smaller tank till I can decide on what to do with them and try my hand at a hardscape.

On a good note though the java ferns and Anubias ended up growing really well so looks like they will be the main focus of my next scape.

Tried my hand at some proper tank photography which turned out okay I guess.

ck9cpt6.jpg

Thanks. It's really quite astounding how a tank photo can change when you take out the filters and heater etc.

It's really the first time I have kept fish without the plants so good to let the fish take the attention for a while.

Might look at getting some focus fish, like 2 angels or German rams. not sure yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Add some brochis in there. No need for something to detract from the scape. More cardinals would complete the look.

But you're like me - in a while you'll get restless and change things up because living with the tank everyday is very different to looking at a picture of it once in a while over the internet.