Sophia's minifish breeding log - vid update p12

Sophia

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have somewhere between 10 and 12 killie fry now. They are living in the lunchbox that floats in the main tank.

Also today I decided to gravel vac the bare tank side of the tank with the pair of CPDs and in the water I took out found 2 pin head fry. I've tried to construct a breeding box in there in an attempt to see more fry, but if it doesn't work I'll simply put gravel all the way over and let the eggs fall into the gaps.

Cherry barb fry are all doing well, there are now about 10 or 11, just raising the last few to be a bit bigger before letting them out into the tank with everyone else. The smallest ones seem quite frail, not sure if they are runty or just small but time will tell.

• 1 month later...

Today's update - in my mini minifish set up I was running out of room so I have rehomed the killifish adult pair to Aaron-Betta and I will now just raise the fry.

There are 21 in total, not including the last egg with eyes and a new hatchling not yet swimming.

Hopefully now that they are in a bigger tank with more room to forage they will grow a bit more quickly as these ones do seem to be slow growing.

8)

last 2 killie eggs are now hatched and in the netbox with their older brothers and sisters. Everyone is now reasonably free to move about in continually filtered water, which is obviously preferable. Looking forward to watching them all grow :bounce:

My 1 CPD fry that I salvaged from water change water is doing OK in his sealed box (gets a water change daily) but I'm afraid to put him back in the main tank till he or she is a bit bigger.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I had 2 cherry barb fry but they turned out to be CPDs, I am very excited about that. So now I have 2 mature fry, and have salvaged about 4 or 5 very new ones from the water change water. There is another that escaped the siphon who is hiding among the moss too. :happy2:

Exciting news from FryLand today :bounce:

First of all, the 4 or 5 CPD wrigglers were actually 7 so there must have been some eggs in the grub I put in the box with them.

Then I caught another in the tank and saw 2 more.

Also, it was raining so we filled up the rain barrels and because I couldn't wait for it to settle, I poured some off straight away and set aside 2 buckets of fresh for water changes. When I went to use the water I found it was teeming with minifish mouth-sized bloodworm wrigglers. :nilly:

So now all my fish have had some fresh bloodworms, and all the minifish have had some new soft water.