Sophia's minifish breeding log - vid update p12

Sophia

The 2 fat females look less fat to my eye this morning so I think spawning has occurred. I've squashed down the moss and weighted it to discourage rummaging for now while I decide whether to take my chances keeping them in the same tank or putting them in another tank to see who hatches.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After I spent practically all afternoon making a pompom breeding mop for the killiefish, I went to put it in the tank and found 1 lonely egg in a scrap of moss I'd strung up as a makeshift mop the other day. So I've put the big clump into a breeding trap in the same tank (can't feel any eggs in there), left the moss scrap where it is, put the mop in the tank, and put the egg in a floating container with a drop of meth blue as I'd seen Barrie do in the past.

Cherry barbs are getting along well. I haven't been able to seperate them from where they spawned so in the event of of fry hatching and living in the moss I've been mixing up the smallest golden pearls with water and firing it into them.

• 1 month later...

today's news:

Boring news - Have been getting up to about 8 killifish eggs a week in the mop, none of them have done anything yet. A few go cloudy, the rest go blue in the meth blue water.

Exciting news - After 6 weeks of cherry barbs in the mossy tank there weren't any fry so I was getting suspicious. I moved them all into the CPD tank and waited... nothing emerged from the moss. Then last week I moved 1 pair back to the moss tank for about 5 days and then moved them back. Lo and behold, today I found 2 fry. They were big enough to be interested in microworms so I gave them a water change and left them to chomp. The moss is pretty thick in 2 thirds of the tank so there is plenty of room for more to be hiding - here's hoping I find some more soon :happy2:

with your killies, because you got them young, the eggs may not be fertilised. It is a good thing that they are at the age that they have started to try spawning. Keep collecting and over the next few weeks you will find that the eggs will be fertilised and develop. I'm lucky if I see an egg a day from my pair of golds and have only had one hatch so far, but they are still a bit young. Also make sure you don't use too much blue in the water, I dilute mine to a light blue which lasts a few weeks in the containers.

I agree, when I was breeding golden panchax too much meth blue seemed to be harmful.

although I found that as soon as they get in the mood, seperate them and feed the girls up on high fat high calcium foods seemed to work ( in my case, minced apple snail and white worms) as soon as they look obese (1-2 weeks) pop the males in and boom........

must note that coincidentally The males were placed in the tank next door and could see the ghetto booty developing and stayed in full breeding mode the entire time.

I found the seperating them made them both moody and wouldn't feed. The only time it went ok was when I had mature males and females and the females were glad for a break. These 2 seem to be quite good friends most of the time.

Aaron I have about 180ml of water with 1 drop of blue. It's quite blue so I'll water it down.

Am going to get a magnifying glass today so I can tell which eggs have mop hair stuck to them and which look like they have fish inside

• 2 weeks later...

it seems that I still have about 6 cherry barb fry, now big enough to be mooching around the tank and one has a definite stripe. I fed them on golden pearls before, then went back to see them and found some with big orange tummies.

Also I'm nearly getting my hopes up that 2 killiefish eggs have eyes. They have 2 definite black dots inside and are not yet blue or fuzzy, it's been over a week.

1 of my killiefish eggs with eyes now has a tail that wiggled, while the other egg is still looking at me ...

I don't have any brine shrimp so I plan on feeding the tiniest of golden pearls and green water when their egg sacks are gone. Shall I move them into another box inside the main tank with tank water or shall I move them into the net box?

and just to make a note here, I have 9 peppered cory eggs waiting to hatch in a box inside the riverbed tank... see thread for more info....

exciting times for me :bounce:

2 hatched fry now, 1 that wiggles - moving them to a new box today

2 more eggs with eyes

3 cherry barb fry now have a stripe and the rest still growing. There might easily be more than 6 in there hiding among the moss. Now they are to be joined by a pair of CPDs I got from HFF Mt Roskill just now :bounce: Cherry barbs can get bigger while I fatten up the CPDs

today I went Barb hunting in the moss. Found another fry large enough to put in the planted tank with his brothers and sisters and another 8. 2 of the fry were either dead/dying or they got hurt during the catch-fest so they were fed to the killies. So now there are 6 small fry in a breeding box in their moss tank, so 10 in total.

got some liquifry for the killies as my microworms are not ready yet so now there is food for all :bounce:

Found another naughty barb who escaped my net, so now 11, will be registering them in a few days.

Killies have been going at it this week. Yesterday 3 eggs, Tuesday 6 eggs (3 went mouldy), 3 or 4 a couple of days before.

The 2 fry are still alive and zipping about in their box and 2 more eggs had tails yesterday too.