Sophia's minifish breeding log - vid update p12

Sophia

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How often do you do water changes on the fry tanks - some breeders do almost daily changes to ensure their fish grow and are not stunted, regardless of how large the tank or how many fry are in there.

when I had fry I was doing a little WC a day or every few days..... because I had the words of Alan resounding in my mind 'feed a little and do a little water change every time you go past'

Fishguy, I was feeding golden pearls mostly and then when bigger they got microworms and other small processed food .. since these guys survived well with the adults they got moved back to the main tank when looking like mini adults and then they got a range of food. I thought it was better for them to be back in the group as the competition seems to make them more vigorous feeders. Maybe it wasn't the best thing to do.

On closer looking today, some of the ex-fry are not so bad. Just one that has a hollow tummy, the rest are just on the small side. Though they were very slow to grow. I seem to have 3 or 4 males and 1 female. Anyway ....will see what happens next.

• 1 month later...

Just popped into HFF for the 1st time in yonks. I just had 3 CPDs die on me in the last month so I only have 3 left :'(. So now that I have all three survivors consolidated into one tank, I was hoping to grab a couple and top up but no such luck. I heard that HFF hasn't had them in awhile too. I sure hope they make a comeback, they're probably my fav fish of all time and I'd hate to see them gone! Wish you the best getting yours to breed, I'm not sure if it's the snails, but after that one time success, I just stopped seeing eggs. So I wouldn't be surprised if they were at fault.

On the other hand I bought a nifty calico long fin BN today :D. Handsome lil guy. Oh wait it's prob a girl, no bristles.

Long time no read Ice222! :wave::kiss:

My latest update is that I have one pair in a breeding tank however they went straight from the community tank to the breeding tank without any special conditioning. My husband is going to sort out my tank divider tomorrow and then I can seperate them and try to feed them up.

The only problem I find is that when they aren't in a big group they don't feed very well so I don't ever feel like they are getting well fed. It's possible they are as they are sneaky little critters who will eat when I'm gone, but still it's not like when you go to the tank and everyone swarms to the front for food.

According to what I've read and have been told, they don't breed so well in a big group as the ones that aren't actively spawning are eating the eggs, so it's better to keep them in a little group or pairs. I only ever had a few fry in the community tank right in the beginning when I removed the sparkling gourami, and after that no more.

Do you know what sex your remaining 3 are?

Long time no read Ice222! :wave::kiss:

My latest update is that I have one pair in a breeding tank however they went straight from the community tank to the breeding tank without any special conditioning. My husband is going to sort out my tank divider tomorrow and then I can seperate them and try to feed them up.

The only problem I find is that when they aren't in a big group they don't feed very well so I don't ever feel like they are getting well fed. It's possible they are as they are sneaky little critters who will eat when I'm gone, but still it's not like when you go to the tank and everyone swarms to the front for food.

According to what I've read and have been told, they don't breed so well in a big group as the ones that aren't actively spawning are eating the eggs, so it's better to keep them in a little group or pairs. I only ever had a few fry in the community tank right in the beginning when I removed the sparkling gourami, and after that no more.

Do you know what sex your remaining 3 are?

2 males, and one female i think, but even when I only had 2 females and 1 male in 40L mossy tank, I never saw a single egg or fry since that single sucessful breeding attempt last year (or was it year before last? hmm). My CPDs are look skinnier now than they used to be too, compared to when i had a bigger group, plus hiding more too. Might add some other small fish (considering dwarf spotted rasboras) that will hopefully act as dither fish, since the ones i saw in store looked pretty, but also seemed brave.

You can have my 2 female spotted/maculatus rasbora if you like, but they'll need some about 4 more friends. They are very brave fish for their size if you still have a mossy base the males will colour up really well. In the shop they are reasonably pale and peachy but when they've settled they go bright orange/red.

I doubt dither fish will help with breeding but it might get your fish out in the open a bit more so you can spy on them and fatten them up a bit. They definitely don't feed as well without a shoal.

Mine are like ravenous wolves nowadays, if you go near the tank they all come to the glass.

You can have my 2 female spotted/maculatus rasbora if you like, but they'll need some about 4 more friends. They are very brave fish for their size if you still have a mossy base the males will colour up really well. In the shop they are reasonably pale and peachy but when they've settled they go bright orange/red.

I doubt dither fish will help with breeding but it might get your fish out in the open a bit more so you can spy on them and fatten them up a bit. They definitely don't feed as well without a shoal.

Mine are like ravenous wolves nowadays, if you go near the tank they all come to the glass.

Haha yea the dither fish won't be fore helping with breeding. Ever since I got the dog I just don't find much time for the fish except topping up evaporated water and feeding. Considering that the 2 tanks they were in had open tops, water actually evaporates pretty quick! So just hoping that dither fish will get them out and about more, and help them come out of their shell a bit. The spotted rasboras I saw in shop looked fully white with black spots tho, do yours look kinda like slightly bigger versions of mosquito rasboras? I read that there are different colour variations depending where they came from, but now I wonder if those in the shop were just pale, I kinda liked them that way :oops: .

As for CPD breeding, I might be keen to try breeding them again once I have time, mostly since I think there are quite a few people who would want them, but they're just not available. But considering the work needed to keep water pristine for encouraging spawing, caring for eggs/fry and the lengthy time it takes to grow them to a decent size I don't think I have the time ot commit to that atm. Not when I'd have to clean out the old tanks completely, and refurnish them with fake or snail free plants/moss, and condition my remaining fish ad hope no more die. Considering that the uni scheduled for the next half of semester will probably be very busy, and I'll be overseas for for a chunk of the xmas break, I just don't see a chance to try breeding again anytime soon :dunno:.

The first batch of dwarf spotted rasbora I got were pale peach like the ones in the shop now and then they went deep peach/orange. I've topped up the numbers a couple of times and they have all pretty much done the same, to varying degrees of peachiness. You could get any sort of mini fish of that size and the CPDs would come out and swim more I reckon.

Another idea is I could buy the remaining 3 CPDs from you and see if I can get some fry , or you could PM Luke* and see if he's coming to Auckland soon as he is better at it than me and is looking for new strains.

Come and have a look at my tank and bring Sherlock! I'm in Three Kings now, disasterously close to HFF.

The first batch of dwarf spotted rasbora I got were pale peach like the ones in the shop now and then they went deep peach/orange. I've topped up the numbers a couple of times and they have all pretty much done the same, to varying degrees of peachiness. You could get any sort of mini fish of that size and the CPDs would come out and swim more I reckon.

Another idea is I could buy the remaining 3 CPDs from you and see if I can get some fry , or you could PM Luke* and see if he's coming to Auckland soon as he is better at it than me and is looking for new strains.

Come and have a look at my tank and bring Sherlock! I'm in Three Kings now, disasterously close to HFF.

Well if you think it would help I'm open to the idea, but I guess I would still prefer to still have some CPDs to oogle at. If you would like the female (since a higher female:male ration seems to work better) I wouldn't mind doing a sex change :sml2: of fishies with you, since males tend to be the pretty looking ones anyway. If you Don't have an available male to swap, then I wouldn't mind just donating her either. There's just one particular male that I'm really attached to (one in my DP) that I'd prefer to keep. He was one of the very first CPDs I bought :).

Btw I'll be on break after tomorrow, so just PM me details and I'll drop by with Sherlock. I'm only busy Sunday before 5pm, and for couple of hours on Sat, so pretty flexible in terms of time/date.

I'll PM you and we can work out a visit/swap ... I can give you a fish and you can give me Sherlock :love:

Next question for breeding nerds - how do you get around having males and females seperated but them being so scatty because they are alone or in a very small group? I just seperated my male and female and the male promptly started banging his head on the divider trying to get through. Will he still eat and do the business under that sort of stress? (They both have moss to hide in.)

Just popped into HFF for the 1st time in yonks. I just had 3 CPDs die on me in the last month so I only have 3 left :'(. So now that I have all three survivors consolidated into one tank, I was hoping to grab a couple and top up but no such luck. I heard that HFF hasn't had them in awhile too. I sure hope they make a comeback, they're probably my fav fish of all time and I'd hate to see them gone!

I was i HFF about a month ago and they CPDs.

those sneaky buggers have outsmarted me again! :an!gry

my seperated male managed to squeeze through the divider and is reunited with his girlfriend. Now that I know even a tight fitting divider is not satisfactory I'm back where I was when i tried to make the divider with rubber seals that killed the fry........... :digH:

I was i HFF about a month ago and they CPDs.

Really? Which store?

If they did/do have them that would be great, just htat when I asked if they had any, I heard that they were "long gone" and since I had a few ppl pm asking if I had any for sale, I was thinking the worse.

• 3 weeks later...

New breeding experiment started today... my long awaited cherry barbs.

Got 5 - 2 males and 3 females. 2 of the females are already quite chubby. I've put them in the spare breeding tank with a divider, boys on one side, girls on the other. They are already feeding so I've given them some mosquitoes and daphnia.

The snails will be moving out of this tank tomorrow so no chance of them eating any eggs.

I'm going to be following this recipe as well as my situation permits

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/barbs/b ... cherry.php

so the day I put the suspected male in with the other 2 he hid like he was in trouble. I thought maybe I'd made a mistake. Next day, he was out with the other 2 and when I compare him to the females I am sure he's a male. First of all they eat less than the females and secondly the females have an almost silver belly and peach top where the males have a peach to red top half and a peach belly. He has a peach belly.

Got another female on Sunday so now am happy I have 3 of each.

I like these fish, they are very responsive. When I go into the garage the 2 females come to the front of the tank and they feed by darting to the surface like tetra.