Sophia's minifish breeding log - vid update p12

Sophia

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tank is 25cm high with water filled to 22cm. 23.5cm front to back and 44.5cm long.

Breeding box is 8.5cm high, 13.5cm wide, 20.5cm long. It takes up about half of the tank.

They have a scant handful of moss in there like what you told me to give the CPDs and I've put moss underneath so they don't seem as suspended above either. The rest of the tank is mostly moss too.

have done what BURN suggested once and put the breeding box on the bottom, wrong way up so they are still suspended over the floor but they have a bit more room and lay eggs through the grid to the bottom which is protected by the box. Just a temporary measure while I either make a new grid with shallower sides. or cut that one down. They were quite relaxed when I transferred them into the amended version so here's hoping. :spop:

• 2 weeks later...

So.... some good news from me.

Last Friday I found 5 fry in the tank that I was originally trying to breed the GCMM in, after I had moved the adults to the new experimental breeding tank.

Over the week I have counted a total of 8. They zip about with their gold headlights on and are very cute. They are eating mostly golden pearls and sometimes crushed flake. Today I moved them into a net box to see if that will contain them in case I move the adults back in.

In Tank 2 the new breeding box worked pretty well in that the adults were relaxed and doing their usual fishy business. Today however I tried to look under the trap to see if there were eggs and I found a fish under there instead :-? I've moved the fish over the divider next door to the mossy covered side of the tank and taken out the breeding trap to look into making that more secure around the edges.

I'm pretty happy with the results so far :bounce:

after moving the fish over the divider yesterday I found 2 fry in the side they vacated.

have fixed the breeding trap and moved the adults back in. Fry have been moved in with their brothers and sisters in tank 1. That should make about 10 fry if none have died.

In tank 1 the net box was not containing the fry so I have freed them till they are a bit bigger

Tank 1 - home of fry

tank127may.jpg

Tank 2 - adults on right side of divider. Likely eggs laid in moss overnight too. I hope

tank227may.jpg

found another fish under my new breeding trap this eve.... they all now banished to the 'moss room'

:an!gry

:wave: Hi i think that might be best to put the fish tank stones on top of little but of grid to hold it down better and also could run a fish tank stones around the out side base rim as well to cover or block any gap.

breeding trap put back with gravel along the edges. Given that the fry always seem to appear after the adults have gone, even in the non breeding trap tanks, I think the adults eat the fry rather than the eggs. If they ate the eggs I wouldn't be getting fry after the adults had vacated.

Moved the fry into a net box and put the adults back in the tank in the hope of more eggs in the tank where they grow up the best. There were about 7 fry. 3 escaped through the net into the tank and were gone this afternoon so now there are about 4 fry left.

Now selling them and will try the ones that are reported not to eat their young, will see how that goes :happy2: .

• 1 month later...

Breeding project revisited at new house........

1 x tank as above with 6 CPDs that went in there yesterday afternoon. Tried to catch a mixture of sizes in case the smaller younger ones are more fertile, though my male looks a bit on the skinny side. Have set the tank up like Caserole's - sponge filter, upturned breeding box with moss at one end and free space at the other. Gave them a feed yesterday, now I wait a few days and see what happens.

1 x empty cold water tank wondering if I should get some white cloud mountain minnows or wait and see what happens with the CPDs.

You know what is going to happen here, don't you?

The CPD's will appear not to be breeding, so you put the WCMMs in the empty tank and then all of a sudden you have two lots of fry...

new slimline garage breeding tanks... there is just enough room to walk between the car and the tanks.

Notice how my husband added one of those foam noodles to the edge of the shelf so we can't bash the car door :sml2:

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

this is my caserole copycat tank. I had some CPDs in here for a few days, they've just gone home to the main tank again.

Am not sure if anything was going on, though they seemed relaxed. My small male with the good anal fin markings seems to be wasting somewhat, don't think he will be doing much procreating. :(

IMG_1668.jpg

:sml2:

Do you think it's reasonable to assume that my CPDs are past breeding quality or are inbred? All the fry I raised from the original batch have turned into adults significantly smaller than their parents, and as I said before, the pretty male seems to be wasting away. It's not from lack of food, if anything I overfeed them from time to time.

My thought is that if no fry emerge now the adults are gone I will try a new fish (cherry barbs) and not bug these guys anymore. They are very hard to catch in among the twisted val as well.