Bristlenose Pair not breeding

Sheepsnana

Hey all!

I've had my bristlenose pair for about a month now, and although they seem pretty happy, they don't seem very interested in each other. It's a community tank with driftwood providing both nutrients and shelter.

I bought a breeding pair from another breeder, so I thought it would be pretty simple.

So far I've put it down to patience. Give it more time, and they'll get there when they're ready.

But from what I've been reading, most people have difficulty stopping their bristlenoses from going at it like bunnies.

I know the first thing you're going to ask is "how's the water?" The answer is clean. I get my water tested every week, and apart from the odd occasional tiny spike in ammonia, the nitrites and nitrates are 0. PH is a steady 6.9/7.0. Water is also changed weekly.

I've read that they like hard water. I have no way of testing the hardiness of my water, so I don't know if that is the issue or not.

Any ideas? :nilly:

I have found BNs either breed like rabbits, or not at all, with no reason I can see for either. I have had some for over 12 years. They never bred for about 5 years then suddenly there were successive broods of fry everywhere for a couple of years then they stopped again. Nothing had changed anywhere they just bred, then stopped again.

Patience is the key. They will get into it when ready. Maybe they are still settling in too.

community tank? pretty sure even small fish like platties can eat the young.

i found providing a suitable cave to be the most important cue to get them in the mood.

drill large hole in driftwood facing downwards. deep enough for the fish to get its entire body in there.

feed bloodworms at night time.

good luck :D

Go on Holiday :rotf:

Everytime I go on holiday and come back I have fry or a hiding male guarding eggs. I am thinking its because the tank is left alone and there is no one sticking their hands in there the whole time, trimming plants or removing dead leaves and such :slfg:

Now on a more serious note. They are probably just looking for an awesome spot, like insect direct said give them tons of options especially narrow caves. I made mine their own cave, will look up the thread for you and then edit this post :wink:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=52959 there you go :wink:

Very cool idea. I'll see what I can find around the place, I've got some tiles that If stacked carefully wouldn't look too out of place, and I wouldn't have to wait three days to put it in and see if they like it. I may even be able to wedge some plants in...

I think the cave may be what's missing... it can't hurt to try.

feed bloodworms at night time.

Sadly bloodworms aren't the best for me. Bought two packs of the frozen ones. I may have just gotten a bad batch, but every time I add them, fish die.

I only use bloodworms just before a water change, so there's no left overs, and I make sure that I defrost them in hot water and serve by hand, so they're not left out for too long and they're not still frozen.

Well I've added two conc. tiles, one on top of the other. They seem to like it, Doug hardly ever leaves the underside of the top tile now, whereas before he would hardly leave the driftwood. Jesse explores more, but even she has taken a slight liking to the new feature in the tank. She's vary rarely under the tile though, she prefers to sit on top.

Now to wait and see...

I found this also. I had a pair and a pair of spotted but nothing ever happened. Whereas my longfins I got which were half the size breed all the time. I think its like Caryl said they either do or don't. I have tried a few different caves and everything, done more water changes than ever and nothing. Same with my friend they have 2 males and one female and caves but nothing ever happens. I'm not worried now I am over run with longfin babies. :D

Let it soak and it will sink after a few days. Do this in a bucket with clean water and change it every day. It will look funny (new) for a while but once they start to feed on it, it will look nice. You will have to replace it every two years coz they love it :)

JaSa

• 1 month later...