surgery on fish ?? urgent!!

wee2

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wee2, I recommend NOT using formalin unless you know the fish has an external parasite. It's pretty harsh and dangerous to humans, I think you shouldn't be using it for this condition at all.

changed the treatment in day one. started with Furan. it dose not seem getting better. the eye is swollen.

cauterising

you mean give it a burn?

Yes. If they were to cut it out with a sharp knife.

Ice would be the best home handy ready pain relief before surgery takes place. As is still used on certain parts of anatomies instead of numbing jells or injections. Fast and efficient.

Yes. If they were to cut it out with a sharp knife.

Ice would be the best home handy ready pain relief before surgery takes place. As is still used on certain parts of anatomies instead of numbing jells or injections. Fast and efficient.

hi Burn ,burn? no one has that experience yet. I would prefer anything to keep him alive.. not too costly

hi Burn ,burn? no one has that experience yet. I would prefer anything to keep him alive.. not too costly

It might Die from all the meds before any history breaking eye surgery can take place. Ice the parts. In theory eye should just pop out ? long nose fine clamp pliers to hold below were cutting. Cut & cauterizing with a burning insent stick. Then release. Sounds pretty easy and all equipment needed is in most homes or can buy from cheap shop. History is made. OR A BLOODY GREAT MESS and one very sore FISHY. After Furan 2 its most probably dieing of some thing completely different right now.

fish are a bit like chickens. Nasty creatures that seam to enjoy inflicting plenty of pain on to each other with eye losses being a common thing with no surgical equipment other then their beaks.

it's a good photo, I hope you find out what it is and how to cure it because this is useful learning for some of us

will update the treatment progress.

You could start a Gorey Photo of the Month competition :spop:

serious??

treatment in day ..###@2%*$# dont remember how many days, I cut open the tumor, tip a little furan2 powder on the wound, put him back in the water. add another dose in to the tank. the wound eye starts bleeding. after 30 sec, bleed stop. the fish acting normal. some tumor pieces fell out and flowing in the tank.

How'd you manage to cut the tumor? Without anasthetic I'd imagine it didn't just lay there waiting patiently for you.

I caught him in a net and held him in the water with his tumorrd eye sideup. and broke the tumor (not cut off) tip a a little furan 2 on the wound. put him back in the water, add 1 and half dose Furan 2 in to water. the eye was bleedly badly. two days later, I found the tumor is way smaller!!! pratical experience tells furan2 is perfect for a opend wound.

Now two packs of Furan2 treatment is over, very costly :lol: . start Melafix treat :cry: at least he is getting there

Hope next time you have an operation they forget your local aenesthetic...

To do that to your animal you claim your attatched to, you should be ashamed... Result or not, that is disgusting and borderline animal abuse...

I worry that someone is going to see what you have done and try copy. This thread should be thrown into the depths of hades. You can read it when you get there.

:o:o:o

I tend to agree with Cricketman...

I would never "operate" or break open a tumour on a fish... I would research the disease work out a course of treatment... do said treatment and have some patience in letting the treatment do it's work.

The fact your fish survived all this... that is one tough fish.

Hope next time you have an operation they forget your local aenesthetic...

To do that to your animal you claim your attatched to, you should be ashamed... Result or not, that is disgusting and borderline animal abuse...

I worry that someone is going to see what you have done and try copy. This thread should be thrown into the depths of hades. You can read it when you get there.

hi bro , not trying to offence... this is only a discussion thread. any ideas come up can help saving his little life is welcome here. it is grateful that I saved him, which now you call it an 'animal abuse'. So, ..what if you are me, when you have done all yoour ways with spending ova $100 on treatment and the tumor is just getting worse. what are you considering to do, just sitting down, sipping a cup of coffee and watching him struggling and dying in there. and then you come around shame people who can really solve the issues (.....wow, sounds exactly same as what is always happenning in the moves)

I do take people's advise and have been to local pet store to find some solutions. however, all I can hear is 'furan 2' which is really costly, I have run out of two full packs. Do you think it should or should not be taken count of...

right here, what is an 'animal abuse' honestly? give a read of Animal Welfare, Animal Abuse and Cruelty in NZ. according to the act, I am physically handling in a manner which minimises pain or distress protecting him from the disease,,, not abusing him.

others please make your decisions of judging who is right or wrong. the result tells all, and make sure you dont abuse animal when you are intending to buy some fish n chips. even if you a eating fish and chips, please dont chew, just swollow the whole fish to reduce his pain :sml2:

hi bro , not trying to offence... this is only a discussion thread. any ideas come up can help saving his little life is welcome here. it is grateful that I saved him, which now you call it an 'animal abuse'. So, ..what if you are me, when you have done all yoour ways with spending ova $100 on treatment and the tumor is just getting worse. what are you considering to do, just sitting down, sipping a cup of coffee and watching him struggling and dying in there. and then you come around shame people who can really solve the issues (.....wow, sounds exactly same as what is always happenning in the moves)

I do take people's advise and have been to local pet store to find some solutions. however, all I can hear is 'furan 2' which is really costly, I have run out of two full packs. Do you think it should or should not be taken count of...

right here, what is an 'animal abuse' honestly? give a read of Animal Welfare, Animal Abuse and Cruelty in NZ. according to the act, I am physically handling in a manner which minimises pain or distress protecting him from the disease,,, not abusing him.

others please make your decisions of judging who is right or wrong. the result tells all, and make sure you dont abuse animal when you are intending to buy some fish n chips. even if you a eating fish and chips, please dont chew, just swollow the whole fish to reduce his pain :sml2:

I'd have to side with cricketman here.

When you are eating fish and chips, the fish is dead and was humanely killed. It's mot like I'm pulling out a fish out of the water and eating it?!

IMO you are not minimizing the fishes pain because how do you know that it hurt more having this thing on its eye, than having you cut its eye open and pour furan 2 in it? Just imagine yourself in its shoes, you get pulled out of the tank (stressing you) then having your eye (tumor) being cut open and this stuff poured in there. Then your back in the tank and its bleeding like mad. This could have made the fish even more stressed, opening it up to more diseases. And what did you cut the eye open with? Was it properly sanitized? Did you wear gloves?

And to agree with Sophia, that he may have been better off dead. The fish would have died quickly, with little pain. And if you do save it, it has to live the rest of its life with this condition that may or may not get better. This decision at the start would have saved you the money.

Did you even talk to a qualified person? I'd love to hear their opinion on this (about the cutting of the eye)

Also, how do you know it's a bacterial infection? And if you used two full packet doses, then are you sure it's going to get better? I know it may look better, but how do you know that on the inside it's getting better? For all you know it could be really bad, and that this tumor is one of the final stages of the infection?

Yknow all these things matter, and as a teen my opinion may not be as important as say yours or a qualified person.