Does constipation also cause the pine coning effect?

katrina.hughes

Hey all, I have a black moore which I suspect has dropsey - still has a ravenous apetite and looking reasonably perky, aside from a very swollen belly and when seen from above displays the pine cone effect which I know is associated with dropsey. Was just wondering if extreme constipation also causes this?

• 10 months later...

We have now treated 3 this year for dropsy, 1st year we have ever had it and has only been with the orandas. 2 of them got it a few months back, treated them inside with epson salts and a little pimafix and feeding them boiled shelled peas, 1 pulled through after about a month of treatment and is now back in the pond outside, the other died. Then a couple of weeks ago another got it, we are trying the same treatment and so far is looking better so fingers crossed.

• 1 month later...

Then I would assume it is not dropsy. Moors do tend to be more likely to drop dead than the more hardier comets and "normal" shaped goldfish. The shorter bodies cause digestion issues. Have you changed what you are feeding? I find some pellets and sticks (usually the really cheap ones) worse than others for swelling more once wet and causing temporary bloating until the pellet is fully processed through the system.

Also, does it happen more at the beginning of spring/summer? It could be they have not fully come out of their winter semi-hibernation so try feeding porridge for a while (uncooked)