Squirt's 30L Iwagumi New Photos 17.06.2012

Squirt

It's sad because I normally have to mow the outside lawn as well. I think the good thing about a riccia lawn is that you can pull the whole stone out to trim without disrupting the substrate.

<--- took me about 6 tries to spell disrupt. Ahh holidays :lol:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Matt, Rory here.

Very sorry to hear that your Ricca got stomped upon on its way to you. Those pottles are ordinarily pretty strong and I've not had this happen before that I know of. The Riccia itself will be just fine, it's a tough little plant. Hopefully it will grow well for you.

image.jpg

Here's something you could consider for your nano tank. I've been growing Riccia Rocks under aluminium mesh. The mesh is particularly handy as it naturally sinks and you can bend it into whatever shape takes your fancy (Riccia really is quite buoyant so I tend to weight them down with a fishing sinker also). The Ricca grows through the mesh pretty quickly under good light and I think they look quite neat and you can make them any size you like.

IMG_4702.jpg

IMG_4703.jpg

_MG_4714.jpg

_MG_4732.jpg

IMG_4827.jpg

IMG_4825.jpg

_MG_4824.jpg

I've been growing Riccia Rocks under aluminium mesh. The mesh is particularly handy as it naturally sinks and you can bend it into whatever shape takes your fancy (Riccia really is quite buoyant so I tend to weight them down with a fishing sinker also). The Ricca grows through the mesh pretty quickly under good light and I think they look quite neat and you can make them any size you like.

Where do you buy your mesh from? I want to try it but flatter circles.

Mesh I used is wireform modelers' #8 mesh; came from Gordon Harris http://www.gordonharris.co.nz/amaco-c-56_58.html (next day delivery ex Christchurch too!). The 1/8" mesh size works pretty well and is easy to work, the 1/4" mesh size might work too but the wire is quite coarse and would be harder to hide. There's a stainless steel product also but the mesh size is I think too fine at 1/16". The ali mesh seems to be working very well. It comes in flat sheets so using it to create a lawn effect would be pretty straightforward :wink:

Was thinking of listing these on a popular online auction site..., I think they might go well :P

Hey, sorry for late reply

That looks cool but what one is the 1/8" one? I don't do inches :P I'll get some next week if I have enough funds. I am testing it tying it to schist at the moment do will see how that goes.

I gave up on the DIY external as the container still leaks do of anyone has a HOB filter please PM me. Also have got to go and buy some new tubes as well. It's getting expensive...

• 5 months later...

Okay, I guess I should update this.

I'm not planning to go away for a while and schools pretty relaxing at the moment so I thought I would retry my failed project!

Okay so in the weekend I tipped out the substrate and did a leak test. Okay so it wasn't water tight, so when dismantling it I chipped one peice and broke another :oops: . :slfg: I'm not very good with DIY so I going store bought this time.

Same project different tank.

Tank I'm looking at getting is a curved edges, 40x25x28cm tank. This particular one they had a combo deal with an internal filter ($45 on their shelves) and water condishner and some food. $100, which isn't bad but I don't need an internal or food so I queried on how much just the tank was figuring it would be about $40 cheaper. $85 :facepalm: I might go to the owner and ask him because she wasn't too sure.

I will be going with flourite this time (in the LPS, they sell one kg bags of flourite for $7 so I figured it was pretty cheap :thup: ) probably black or grey.

I will be going iwagumi, hopefully with some "better" rocks I guess. I figure the last lot of rocks was to big for the tank. (I saw some nice rocks on a local landscapings website so may go pop in there)

Plants will most likely be Dwarf Hairgrass again and some form of carpet.

Lighting I'm still a bit unsure about. I'm running a budget on this tank and don't want to spend realistically over $40 on lighting. I've read a few posts on lighting lately, not too confident on DIYing a light. So is there any suggestions on cheap store bought lights for this tank?

I will be using the Nutrafin Natural Plant System on this tank but without the ugly ladder and hopefully a ceramic/glass diffuser.

Any suggestions are welcomed. Second time lucky :thup:

Yeah, liking the curved glass though :slfg: But that is my other option.

I went back in today, and just couldn't justify the $85 so I might try the shops in the Hutt (animates and the Pet Centre) to see if they have anything.

Hi all

Ive been looking at lighting and was wondering, would this 2.2W LED suffice?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/fish/fish-tanks-aquariums/auction-472550084.htm

Or would T5s or T8s brighten up the tank more? (If anyone has some lighting that they want to sell PM me) The Tank is 40cm x 25 cm x 28 cm.

Also, I "plan" to use Dwarf Hairgrass (Elocharis acicularis) and Glosso (Glossostigma elatinoides) (I presume both of these to be available and legal in New Zealand?). To my understand they are both root feeders, so could I get away with using flourite/substrate with JBL balls (or similar) and dosing little fertilizers?

Went into the LPS and asked if he can get me some Dragonstone. So I will wait and see. Is there anywhere else (apart from the internet) to buy Dragonstone or Seiryu Stone? Im liking the look of these.

Cheers