With, or without?

Caryl

Grant has had his beard shaved off for the first time in 34 years (he grew it on our honeymoon). I was curious to see what he looked like clean shaven now and whether it would make him look younger. It has taken several years to convince him (ie constant nagging) to shave it off again :sml2:

What do you think? Should he stay clean shaven, goatee version, or grow it all back? And does he look younger or older either way? Bear in mind he is 61 so he is never going to look "young" :slfg:

It is just a fluke that he is smiling broadly in the first pic and hardly at all in the last :wink:

The start

DSC05960.jpg

goatee

DSC05961.jpg

just a mo (yuck, not him at all)

DSC05962.jpg

and the full monty

DSC05963.jpg

He did it now so, if he grows it back, he will look like every other guy who shaved then let it go wild for Movember :thup:

Be kind to him as I don't want his feeling hurt! :wink:

Son's opinion (having never seen him clean shaven, except in wedding pics)...

Dena and I reckon he actually suits the goatee best. Despite the fact that it gets rid of the grey I think he actually looks older without the beard.

And he looks like a completely different person. It's kinda creepy. Go with the goatee (when it grows back). I think that suits him best.

I think part of the reason why the beard seems more flattering is because his hair is thick and wavy, so the beard creates balance when viewing from the front as we are. If it were cut more closely to his head, at least around the back and sides then the clean shaven look may fit him better.

(That is not a hint for you to now nag him about his hairstyle! :nilly: )

He certainly does - now. he didn't before.

I am amazed at the overwhelming pro beard stance since they are not considered "fashionable" although that isn't quite the right word.

Interestingly, he has been working all day with a man who has known him for years, who hasn't noticed yet that something has gone :roll:

I suspect he will grow it back. He is complaining it is drafty without it. :sage:

We deliberately picked Movember so he would match all the other guys growing beards :wink:

He would keep his hair shorter if he worked more socialble hours that gave him time to get it cut more often. I am not a fan of trying to do it myself. Trimming the beard is annoying enough.

Sophia, it was his choice to bring in the skip. His choice to chuck the treasures. His choice to shave it all off. It will now be his choice to grow, or not to grow it back but he has been as surprised as me by the pro-beard lobby, especially as they far outweigh the clean shaven look.

I wonder if it because the majority who have voiced an opinion have been male?

I thought it was said though that females preferred clean shaven men. Perhaps it is only younger women who have not experienced the fluffy feel :wink: