Tropheus Ikola dying. need help!

A-town...

My mate has a 6foot african tank in which he had several variety of fish including some victorian haps some lelupi an tropheus. One of his tropheus died on Monday morning follwed by another 3 today. He did a 50% water change Monday afternoon thinking it may be the water. He moved the other fish out of the tank and just left the tropheus in there. All the other fish are fine. He tested his water today. Parameters are ph 8.0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5. The fish arent showing any sign of disease and arent bloated. He hasnt introduced any new fish to the tank and doesnt use fly sprays or chemicals where his fish are kept. He feeds mainly vege foods lettuce spiralina flake and occasionally fresh mussels from the supermarket. The fish appear to be struggling to swim sit on the bottom then die. He has high aeration and good filtration systems. Can anybody with tropheus knowledge please help!

Could be anything but probably bloat. I lost a trop dub the other day to what I think was bloat but caused by being a greedy @#^$. I have been feeding them spirlina flake lately but the greedy buggers are globbing it at the surface of the water like there is no tomorrow. I am pretty sure it swallowed a whole heap of air. It was swimming around like it had bloat and later died.

They are still eating and swallowing the food. Do you think lettuce could be the problem he has been feeding them that recently.

If he is still having issues then I would drop the water level and treat the fish and the food with metro just to be sure.. It is not worth the risk!

Hi its a very bad news. :nilly:

STOP feeding them for a whole week. (NO, NO fresh mussels from the supermarket at all!!)

- Change 50% of water adding Furan II ASAP (from Pet Shop)

- Keep them in the dark (no light)

Good luck and keep me posted.( breeding tropheus for 3 years)

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...