Marimo Balls in NZ!!!

Squirt

Wow I'm I though they were banned but I found some on TM are they banned? Genuinely interested in buying some if they are legal. I didn't see them under pest plants. So if someone can give me some insight?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/outdoor-garden-conservatory/plants-pots/indoor/auction-416419658.htm

I would be extremely cautious to purchase one of those. I dont think they have ever legally been imported into NZ. if you buy one put it in your tank and maf finds out they came in illegally they will destroy everything in your tank! I know someone that smuggled them into the country and there whole tank got destroyed including the fish.

:facepalm: looks like someone bought it...
Yep, for $16.00

Not sure, but I beleive they form in lakes in Japan, something about forming balls, they suck up sediment and stuff so that's why they haven't been imported?

Yeah thats sort of the reason, also cause its a type of algae and it could spread easily and quickly once it goes down a drain. Plus its MAF and they freak out with any exotic orgainism. Which is also why no more plants will be coming into the country.

very tempting here..

it a status of protected species, that mean less and less of them around..there for i must grab 1 :smln:

i cant see any out break that i will cause in our water..its only a seaweed...

Well as other people have said, be cautious. Also marimo is an algae, and algae can spread fast :P marimo balls only grow about 5cm per year and get to the size of 30cm their so cool :thup:

In other terms:

Well I asked the question on one of their other auctions

Response

Hi in regards to the marimo balls ( I asked a question on it but someone else bought it) How did you get these? I though they had never been legally imported into NZ? Thanks

Oh sorry I never saw the question, I know its weird but its the New Zealand airport and MAF that decide whether or not these things can come into new zealand & plus I think there are bio-forms that sellers have to fill out before exporting I take Boisecurity201 at university.When you think about it there are many overseas plants throughout trademe & on the market e.g chinese wind mill palm trees, japanese maple trees etc. Mine wasn't black market don't worry haha, Thanks for your interest :-)

posted by:    jazz217 (483 )    1:54 pm, Sun 23 Oct

I might give MAF a call and see if these were actually legally imported?

Called and no response, they must have labour weekend off, I'm so tempted, but not going to risk it at the moment. :facepalm:

I bought a plant off Trademe which I had not seen before and had a visit from Maf biosecurity nearly a year later. The plant had died by then but the person selling them was subsequently charged on 32 counts and received a substantial penalty. The plant, along with quite a few other plants and things had been brought in illegally. I count myself lucky that it had died.

Asked a new question must've gone over the top or something?

Hi So they were legally imported? I called MAF but no pick up, I've heard a story about these being in the country before, MAF found out and destroyed all the fish and everything in the tank along with the marimo balls. Thanks

Yes they were brought through the airport, scanned, sniffed by the dogs, & papered. Do some research they are not considered pests at all & they arent harmful in any way, so I think what you heard was just a story. Please stop your harassment on my auction. You're probably thinking of rock snot, didymo or something! Our airports have very strict regulations and checks and if you have no confidence in our systems then thats your problem. They destroy on sight if things are a problem. Good riddens

Interesting :smln: the must be allowed for import now or something?

Doesn't sound like it came in legally. Sounds like it fell through a crack in the system.

Who knows though. Would be cool to have these here, but often plants can be as hazardous as some species of fish and are often harder to eradicate.

MAF will get onto it soon enough.

Agreed that MAF will most certainly get on to it and sooner than you think.

A word of caution for those talking about obtaining one. By making this sort of statement in a public forum open to scrutiny by all and sundry just be aware that you may also receive a visit from MAF and rightly so.

Even if the seller was not aware that this was not allowed in the country (if it is what it is claimed to be), you now are and whether making a statement about obtaining such is done in jest or seriously it is not something that you should be considering.

Sorry reading the fine print of the email, I am not allowed to distribute it. They said it is not allowed in new Zealand, and they are investigating.

Edit:

He told me I can say

Marimo balls are considered a new organism to New Zealand, and that MAF are currently carrying out an investigation into these species.

Quote from the actual email.

• 10 years later...
On 10/23/2011 at 12:47 PM, Squirt said:

Wow I'm I though they were banned but I found some on TM are they banned? Genuinely interested in buying some if they are legal. I didn't see them under pest plants. So if someone can give me some insight?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/outdoor-garden-conservatory/plants-pots/indoor/auction-416419658.htm

Please look at the MPI list of permissible plants for import.