Wireless Modem not wireless anymore

supasi

I am now onto modem number 2 in the last few years. For some reason the wireless function just stops and I am unable to figure why.

I was lying in bed today and the missus asked who won the rugby last night, I didnt have a clue so I grabbed my cellphone and using wiFi I checked. That worked fine.

Half an hour later nothing.

The Wireless light will not show except for a few seconds at reboot of modem and I have connected via ethernet to the modem to check settings and all seems ok.

This is now the 2nd modem to do this to me and I am at a wits end with it all.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Last one was Dynalink modem and this is an Edimax.

Try to access the modem's settings via the computer it's plugged into.

1. Open the internet browser and type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar.

2. Log into your router, by default the Username is admin and the password is also admin

3. Have a look around to try and find something about the wireless, mine's simply Wireless settings>Wireless basics>enable wireless.

4. If this doesn't fix the problem, the wireless inside the router may have died unfortunately.

Hope this helps!

Yes have done all that.

I am struggling to believe that the same thing can happen to two modems within 3 months.

This is brand new and was going fine up until today.

I will take it back and get a new one but wanted to check to see if anyone new of anything that may have caused this to occur.

If it's just the wireless it's usually the capacitors are failing for the wireless part. They are using cheap knock off capacitors that should be replaced.

I've had one linksys router that the wireless died and I just replaced them in it and then bought a new netgear router, then sold the linksys on trademe. My original netgear router still works so it's kept as a backup to the one I have now.

While we are on the subject of modems, I have an issue I have been trying to solve. I got a new adsl 2+ modem a few months back because I was still running an 8 year old d-link that came free with a signup to telecom. Now that modem is slow, it wasn't designed for high speed so there are no issue there other then the speed.

After adding all my details to the new modem it still wouldn't connect, that is until I called the isp and it connected immediately, speed was very fast 8 mbps which is what I am paying for so it was nice to get that speed for once. However as soon as I hung up from the isp it disconnected, and only connects when I am on the phone to their help desk.

Google seems to tell me that it is bad lines within either the house, or the connection to the house. Unfortunately my isp says they can check the lines, and if it turns out to be our house then they will charge $460 for the test. If it is the connection to the house then they fix it and charge nothing.

So here is my question. Is there anyway to rule out the house wiring? If it turns out its the house I will be so far up the creek a paddle will be the least of my worries, but I am paying for high speed internet and would like a chance to use it, so if I can rule out the house then I will order the test to be done and hopefully be on adsl +2 in the near future.

Any ideas would be great, sorry to jack your thread Simon but I figured it wasn't worth a new topic.

ok, they're reselling Maxnet's solution which is wholesaled from Telecom. I think the onus lies with them to make it work. Charging $490 for a line test is robbery as it's a standard tool that Telecom use. If it works when you're on the phone then there isn't a line problem - it'll be in the network but don't agree to pay if they find fault at your end as that just seems like they have the chance to ping you whether the fault is real or not. Tell them to fix it or you're going elsewhere.

Also - try the geekzone forums for help/advice as well as tuanz if you don't get any joy.

So they do something to get it to connect?

Ask to have interleaving on the line (error correction) and see if that helps. It sounds more like a config problem, could be your modem or the DSLAM (at the exchange) or in their settings.

Does the router loose sync and if so is immediately after they hang up ?

Does the old modem still connect? and if so at what speed?

/me dusts off his UK ISP forum mod hat

They don't do anything to get it to connect it just happens, it seems to confuse them. I have tried other older modems, all adsl+1 work fine, its adsl+2 that won't work unless on the phone to the isp. My new modem has been tried on 2 other locations and works very well. It seems to loose sync as soon as I hang up.

The old modem connects, I am unsure of the speed to get to the administrator page takes a very long time, this modem is ancient and on its way out but still connects fine, its not the fastest though.

1553953074.png

My graphics card has gone on me today too :( at least they're not too expensive any more for a decent one.

Nymox, if you pay the wire maintenance fee (check your bill) all fault finding is free up to the point where they work out what the problem is. So you could tryin ringing Residential faults, tell them all about it (tell them you've already spoken to broadband helpdesk and done all they've told you) and see if they will send someone out to check the line. Depending if you are home or not, the tech would test it with their laptop in the house. If you don't pay wire maintenance then you will pay the fees on the link but it shouldn't be what you mentioned as far as I know (I worked there long ago).

from here http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,8748,205402-1007,00.html

Wiring within your home can experience wear and tear over time, and from time to time it may need repairing. To do this, you'll need someone to come and fix your wiring, such as an electrician or Telecom technician. With our wiring maintenance service you pay a small monthly fee and if something goes wrong with your internal wiring or sockets we will cover the cost of repairs (parts and labour).

Please note: that at this time RJ45 sockets are excluded from the Telecom Wiring Maintenance service.

Nymox, Can you post (or PM) the full stats for both the working modem and the new one while working?

Have you tride to run the new modem on adsl1 (G.DMT),

disable T1.413

disable G.Lite

make sure it is on annex A not L or M,

enable bitswap,

disable SRA

disable Trellis

disable PHyRe