Pendant or luminaire lighting setups; what's out there?

DubbieBoy

So, I’ve been maintaining a 24” cube planted tank for several years in the corner of the living room. It’s been good and plant growth has been lush.

The lighting system I went with when I initially set it up was 3x55W CF lamps under AH Supply reflectors and these have been really good for punching light down through the extra depth. But this lighting arrangement isn’t particularly aesthetically pleasing and was only ever meant to be temporary. I’d like to consider an alternative lighting arrangement, like either a hanging pendant or an overtank luminaire setup and I’d welcome any advice. I thinking along the lines of a 6x24” T5s or a 150W MH, both of which seem to be unfathomably expensive for what they are! Because it’s in the living room, I’m a bit concerned a MH lamp might be too bright/glarey as it would have to be suspended further from the glass due to heat? In that sense, the 6x24” T5 HO pendant style might be the best bet.

Ideas, options, experiences and sources would be appreciated. I expect it would have to come from overseas as the minute anything like this enters NZ the price immediately triples.

Some pics of the corner cube in some of its incarnations -

CompactFlouros.jpg

LampsTop.jpg

_MG_3731.jpg

_MG_3737.jpg

_MG_3719.jpg

_MG_3708.jpg

_MG_2197.jpg

_MG_3761.jpg

front2.jpg

Sag1.jpg

PoopedKitty.jpg

I'd say go with the halide, and do what Ryan says, get an ex-commercial fititng. They are a ton cheaper than aquarium-made ones. With the money you save you could perhaps build a hood to keep the halide in? If you don't want a hood you can have the halide pretty low anyway because you'd have good air flow around it. You get the cool ripple effect with halides too. Bulbs are about $15-20 NZ from overseas so I think it's much more cost effective over T5's.

• 1 year later...

Thought I’d update this thread now that I’ve arrived at a decision (forced by the failure of one of my existing ballasts which knocked out two of my compact flouros, leaving just one 55w bulb; plant performance quickly suffered). I wanted to replace the failed ballast with something a little more aesthetic than what I had been using but still baulked at the exaggerated prices of overtank luminaries such as the Arcadia or Giesseman units. There are cheap(er) T5 luminaires available from the far east but quality (safety?) can be an issue. I didn’t want to go MH as I need a stout cover glass to prevent the cat from treating the tank as a buffet. Then I stumbled across the iQuatics site recently http://www.iquaticsonline.co.uk/; these seem to be relatively new players and by comparison are quite competitively priced - the AquaLumi ticked all the right boxes… Heavy duty anodised aluminium luminaire, 6 x 24W T5HO bulbs (with 2 or 4 independently switched), cool running with fan assisted cooling of the electronics etc… Nice. So I enquired about international shipping and, as it happens, yesterday I received their first overseas consignment ;-)

It’s a very solidly put together unit and I’m really pleased with it…

Here are some preliminary pics, I’ll update when I have it in situ.

P1010175.jpg

P1010177.jpg

P1010179.jpg

P1010186.jpg

P1010188.jpg

I'll get pics up, it is bright 8) ... but I don't think massively more intense than the 3 x 55W power compacts I was already running. Hard to say really.

Here's two of six lamps lit, I went for a 50:50 mix of their 'tropical' bulb and 10000k reef white tubes. The tropical bulbs are supposed to be about 7500k but have a distinctly pink hue. Together the colour rendition is quite nice.

P1010189.jpg

I'll get pics up, it is bright 8) ... but I don't think massively more intense than the 3 x 55W power compacts I was already running. Hard to say really.

I'd be surprised if a 144 watt fixture was massively brighter than a 165. :) Small differences in efficiency and reflectors will make a little difference, but color temps will make a huge difference.