Wild tadpole/frog populations in Christchurch?

antwan

One of my lecturers said you can find green frogs around orana park...I used to collect tadpoles that grew into the brown frogs from a creek near travis wetland and the pond in bottle lake forest when I was a child, no idea if they are still there or not though.

Dont know anything about species....

One of my lecturers said you can find green frogs around orana park...I used to collect tadpoles that grew into the brown frogs from a creek near travis wetland and the pond in bottle lake forest when I was a child, no idea if they are still there or not though.

Dont know anything about species....

by the sounds of it they are brown whistling tree frogs....(litorea ewingii)

Anyone got any ideas on judging a species at tadpole stage got about 100 in a big storage container and have studied them for ages, the pond i collected them from was in waitarere (north island sorry) and when i was getting them i also caught a one eyed whistler which i have now named Tahi but these tadpoles look more like golden bells or southern bells because they seem to be quite large and have a slight greenish tinge to them and tiny gold dots on there body no legs yet but also no deaths i guess i could just use the patience stratedgy but any other ideas?

heaps of whistlers out pines beach

I went for a very half-ass look on Saturday (mucked around at the beach for most of it instead), but while we were looking a local came up and said most of the whistler's haven't been around for 20 odd years?

Have you got a more specific place to find them at all? Perhaps it's too early for them to be out?

• 1 month later...

Surprisingly, two years ago I discovered a population of BOTH Litoria raniformis and Litoria aurea. Only yesterday I discovered a location with Litoria Ewingii (Both populations just out of Christchurch.) This is after years of searching in every ditch, pond, creek and wetland in the Christchurch area. All species at both of these locations seemed VERY vulnerable. Our frog populations are rapidly declining. I don't encourage even touching any wild frogs in or around Christchurch -there is a reason why they are few and far between! Best stick to local pet shops if you can help it! (:

• 9 years later...