Container Vege Gardening

supasi

So who is planning on or is already planting veges in containers etc this year?

With the price of veges it is a no brainer really.

With my son to be probably more mobile during the summer( crawling/walking), I have got rid of my copious amounts of water buckets and troughs that I used to grow aquatic plants in and will grow veges to feed the family.

Today I got some seed Potatos to plant in bags and I will be getting some Capsicum seedlings , lettuces and tomatos going this weekend. Zucchini will be a must for the fish lol, and the usual silver beet, cabbage and celery.

I wouldn't mind attempting growing some Chilli varieties also

My Brother has a large section and I am trying to coax him into planting larger crops of things like Sweet Corn and Pumpkins and Melons. Hopefully we can establish a family vege co-op where we can share out our goods. :thup:

Lets hope that we don't end up getting some more frosts.

Would be good to share ideas and follow each other progress ( I find this encourages me to get more creative)

I am totally useless at growing veg and find that by the time my pathetic, spindly looking things are ready to harvest (assuming they didn't die), a lot of people have too much and are always offering us their excess!

The parsley in the garden died but the seeds that blew into the cracks in the concrete drive are thriving! I have been giving a lot away as I have more than I can use :roll:

Daughter has just started a number of seeds. She does it at school and gets the class interested too. The school has their own vege garden as well.

I have a friend who managed to keep her family well supplied with vege by growing them all in buckets.

i have 3 raised beds and grow all year round here is what i grow , lettuce , spinich , raddish , carrots , yams , leeks , asparagus , beans , peas , parsnips , toms , cucumbers , spring onions , beetroot , bok choy , cabbages , cauli , broccoli , peaches , plums , grapes , nectarines , apricots , mandarins , limes , lemons.

I have probably missed a few things and obviously not all of this stuff can be grown all year round but i hardly ever go to the vege shop and just eat seasonel veg. I also dont have a huge section but its amazing what ya can grow when you come up wityh a plan and my vege gardens arnt ugly either they look great.

• 2 months later...

Ok, now that we are into summer, the garden is looking spectacular.

Having fresh veges already. So far have plenty of Brocolli and Cauli. Lettuces galore, peas, spinach, strawberries, Silverbeet and Spring onions all being picked for the table. Have planted them all at various stages so have one or two of each ready at any one time.

Still in the ground and doing well are my Potatoes, Yams, Carrots, Parsnip, Brussel Sprouts, Celery, Tomatoes, Capsicum, Chilli, Beans, Gerkins, Cucumber, Butternut squash,Onions (red and Brown) Beetroot and Zuchinni.

Has been perfect weather for the vege garden this season.

How is everyone elses gardens growing?

I used to grow 3-4 varieties of chillis and make chilli sauce but then found out I can buy a 1 pound jar from the asian wholesale shop for a few dollars so no longer bother. Same with spuds and corn. By the time you get yours they are cheap as in the shops. The only advantage is that they are so nice fresh from your own garden. They take up so much room we stick to growing the other stuff mainly. Garden not doing much this year.

im growing lettuce x4 tomatoes x 2 3 types of zucchini not doing to well 1 capmsicum plant courgette gold/green

carrots cabbage cauli and boroccoli

ill plant more this week before i go on holiday so its ready when i get home

i plan on making one more veg garden

heres some pics

P1020669.jpg

P1020668.jpg

P1020667.jpg

P1020666.jpg

P1020665.jpg

lol now time to go weed it all so it doesnt look so bad

• 4 weeks later...
Yum. Are the carrots supposed to be that shape?

Yeah, they are stupid roly poly carrots. I wont get them again.

Looks like you're using tap water for the veggies ... I'm putting all the fresh water from my water changes onto all the house plants I can find!

No need for tap water here. My back lawn is like a pond. Been pretty wet and hot here. Good for garden though.

We are just looking through Egmont seed catalogue, it's very tempting indeed. My husband is planning a winter garden of container bags and we are going to try a carrot called Chantenay Royal as it only grows to 12-15cm, bigger than the roly poly one but not too big.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Simon, here is our container garden - tomatoes and some courgettes, blueberries and the empty troughs are waiting for winter crops. We had 3 courgette plants through summer that kept us in too many courgettes. Tomatoes haven't ripened yet thanks to the rubbish summer but we have had lots of cherry tomatoes from the edge-garden.

My husband's goal was to make the cheapest garden using the best bit of sun - these troughs are made of tarpaulin sewn together with little wooden sticks to hold up the corners. The potting mix is a mixture of mostly compost he made out of garden waste, and some bagged stuff from Bunnings.

The garden furniture was also made by him out of fence palings.

He has donated me a trough in the middle where I've planted lettuce, spinach, thai basil and some marigold seeds.

*why have my photos flipped up the wrong way, they are saved correctly in photobucket and in my PC :-? *

From outside

IMG_1346.jpg

From inside

IMG_1344.jpg

Far right – passionfruit growing. Trough is for shallots

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

Hard to garden garden – too much shade, now only suitable for leafy greens and some herbs

IMG_1345.jpg