got 2 new discus but 1 is flaring gills more than other

hyjinx

is there anything that this could be ? outside it looks healthy colour not fiped fins or fungus growing etc it diddnt look very happy lastnight i thoght it might have found it dead this morning as lastnight it was clamping fins/tail 1/4 - 1/2 way down and was looking like it was geting unbalanced but i turned the light off early and it seemed to like that and looks happer this morning but still the gills are going the other discus that came from the same tank looks completely normal ive had them since sunday night, they are not fighting with each other but its tank buddy lkes my bigest discus and they seem to like eachother so hangout, they are funny fish the ones that i got from the same place eg the 3 baby blue d will scrap between each other, the 3 super reds one is a loner but hangs with the other babies and thinks its the boss of that lot but its not the other 3 smaller red baies also bicker between themselves but seem quite happy. they are all quite shy but are getting food but not as often as id like the water is in good condition so i dont think thats the prob w the ill one.

Some Discus breathe 'harder' than others, ie their gill cover has a greater range of movement than other Discus. It may be due to slight deformity in the gills, or previous damage (flukes maybe) or it may be 'just one of those things'. I don't know.

Discus can also breathe more rapidly and deliberately when eating or stressed, and this isn't always shown equally amongst the fish in a tank.

Intermittent breathing from one gill when the other remains clamped is no cause for concern either. Unless it is constant and from the same gill, and/or they are 'flashing' against objects a lot.