temperament of fighters

Sophia

I asked this question in freshwater but didn't get an answer so Mohammed will instead bring the mountain to you guys.... :wave:

In your opinions (as existing betta owners) will a fighter actively hunt down fry small enough to fit in its mouth? I have decided to get one to put in with my celestial pearl danios and am wondering if I should make alternative arrangements for either the fry or the fighter. I wouldn't mind so much if it ate the eggs but I would like to see my existing fry grow up. Do males and females have different temperament in this situation, are they usually always peaceful when not sharing with another of their own kind?

Who else has kept a fighter with small fish?

thanks

:cofn:

:spop:

I haven't owned a lot of betta (3 males, 3 females) but I found the males to be lazy .. gave short chase and then gave up.

The females were more active in their hunting .. and a better personality too ;)

I am talking about guppy an platy fry though who are quite big compared to some other species.

After a week in the garage tank I decided his tail was too cumbersome for him to get a good swim on those fry so popped him in the main tank today. His first point of call was to go after fry but they were too quick and like BikBok said, it was a short chase and then gave up. He can't summon enough energy to give more than a couple of squeezes of his tail and then loses interest. Will post a photo when I get some camera batteries.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha those lazy long tails, sounds like he suits your tank perfectly though. My Fighter's odd, I have 2 tanks of CPDs and I have have put him in both tanks before. In 1 tank, he leaves all the other fish alone, in the other tank he chases EVERYTHING. What's weird is that he's built nest in both so it's not a defending the nest thing, and the tank in which he chases everything in is the moss tank where it's more densely planted and he loses line of sight easily, while the other tank is pretty bare and he would constantly see fish.