Bristlenose Fry & Bambooed but they dont use it.

Aftaburn

I've just removed about 49 from my main system to raise seperately.

Not sure what sort of survival rate to expect but when large enough they will likely be available.

I have 2 males & about 9 females in one tank (only one breeds though that I've seen so far).

I have 2 males & 3 females in another tank which I've just planted (these fish bred a long time ago but when I cleaned out the tank they havent spawned since).

To this other tank I've added 2 pieces of bamboo to try to provide some better holes but the Bristlenose dont use the inside (when I had it soaking pre boiling it was very slimy & had something like a jelly thing going on, since boiling I think thats gone).

Anyone got any ideas for getting the 2nd lot going?

The bamboo is opening slightly upward, I have to wonder if this might be it (the male in the other tank with mohogany doesn't care so long as his hole is accessable).

The males used to fight but haven't for ages & definately not since the last rearrange (swapped them about to stop the fights).

Bristlenoses can be odd. They will spawn madly for some time then stop for no apparent reason. I had a male who didn't do a thing for 5 years then more than made up for it for a short time again then stopped once more.

The lady who was responsible for most of the bristlenoses in NZ a few years ago said hers were the same.

The bamboo has been dry for some time from the looks of it. Its been outside.

Thanks for the taste info this stuff was oozing slimy stuff for a week when I put it in a cycled tank to mature (nothing else in it currently & it'll be cleared prior to next use).

Prior to putting the bamboo in I'm soaking it for just over a week then boiling it.

Seems today a little competition for the log they've been using with 3 fish trying to fit into a hole for one.

I expect that means more babies sometime next week although I'm about to rearrange a few things & try bamboo with these guys as well.

I have to wonder how loyal to thier lair they are.