DIY Flourite

amtiskaw

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha. Funnily enough, I used to do IT work for an energy company, and the enforcement team did find a few hydroponic set-ups during the three years I was there - usually when the tenants messed with the meters and indicated power usage dropped significantly :facepalm: I was always surprised none of those amateur electrical engineers fried themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried a few different hardscapes, and this is the best so far. What do you guys reckon - any ideas on layout and plants? :dunno: Still looking for that perfect bit of wood :roll: This is 450 litres, minus the hardscape of course.

Thinking of java fern along the long bit of wood in the background, xmas moss and java fern on the big bit, and dwarf chain swords and glosso for carpeting. Probably some star grass back left, too. Crypts on the slope between the rocks.

hs1.jpg

Ditto, minus the long bit of wood. Maybe stargrass along the rear

hs2.jpg

Iwagumi-ish. Just carpet with dcs and glosso. Not sure what else.

hs3.jpg

Different bit of wood. Xmas moss on the branches will hide the sawn ends. Maybe some java fern on the trunk to fill the rear-top-right corner.

Probably some star grass back left, too. Crypts on the slope between the rocks.

hs4.jpg

Same, with some roots added to the branches. Xmas moss on the roots, too.

hs5.jpg

I don't like any of them :digH:

IMO you should slope the substrate slighty from the front to the back and not have any big mound thingies, and position the wood and rocks in a non-dramatic fashion and cover the wood with Java fern.

Also I don't really like the whole cave thing that you've got going on there. Looks very African-cichlidy.

I think the whole thing would look better without the rock on the LHS.

If you're planting the tank, don't worry about what the tank looks like before you plant it - change and move things around as the plants grow naturally. The tank will so to speak 'evolve' more naturally.

But that's my favourite rock! :tears: Hmm, back to the drawing board...

I think the whole thing would look better without the rock on the LHS.
If you're planting the tank, don't worry about what the tank looks like before you plant it - change and move things around as the plants grow naturally. The tank will so to speak 'evolve' more naturally.

I disagree, I think the hardscape's just as important as the plants. I just can't find the right bit of wood to go with the (foggy) concept I have in me old noggin :-?

OK, how about this then? Just a basic layout, and I still need to add a long bit of wood along the back so I can fill it in with java fern.

I'm starting to get analysis paralysis, and I'll have to just go for it soon. Aquascaping is hard!

tf30.jpg

• 1 year later...