raw eat for dog die

dragonz1833

Try calling a butchers (mad butcher or butcher jacks) to see if they have off cuts or some kind of bulk order. Also I recommend ringing a vet for info (think Forrest Hill vets has a vet there who is an advocate for this kind of diet but I might be wrong, can't remember her name). You don't want your dog to become deficient in anything, so I would do some research so you have the right composition of diet

Huskies are notoriously picky tho, they are essentially working dogs that can go for a long time without food in the snow (compared with other breeds).

Talk to a vet before you feed them meat only diet.

There is a company that sells really good frozen meat pellets for dogs ( it is new to the market ) but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. I will try and find out although with two huskys I am sure that would break any ones bank balance :)

Wheres Jen when you need her :) I am sure she will comment in time..

I know the petfood company we used to goto occasionally used to swear by the frozen minced pure meat dog foods, and other friends reckoned that they went allot further because they weren't full of fillers and all that sort of stuff but we haven't tried any of them before.

Talk to a vet before you feed them meat only diet.

There is a company that sells really good frozen meat pellets for dogs ( it is new to the market ) but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. I will try and find out although with two huskys I am sure that would break any ones bank balance :)

Do huskies eat more than malamutes? Last time we went to the vet ours said she could do with being fed a little bit less. "Maybe a cup less than the amount the bag says."

We already feed her less than it says, we feed her with a measuring cup.

"Try weighing it out, make sure you're not feeding her more than it says."

So we did...Bag says 4-5 cups a day, we feed her 2 and the vet says we should feed her about 1 cup/day less. :slfg: She would eat us while we sleep.

Mals will eat anything you put in front of them, and then some. Including hot sponge cakes that are supposed to be cooling on a rack on the kitchen table :-?

Perhaps another consideration for how much to feed is how much 'work' your dog is doing, or exersise as the case may be, digging holes in the yard and yodeling all day do not count :wink:

Mals will eat anything you put in front of them, and then some.

Eat anything once...She refused to eat jalapenos and pickles a second time. The big slice of onion I dropped once she glared at it for 30 seconds, sneezed and went to the other side of the kitchen.

Do huskies eat more than malamutes? Last time we went to the vet ours said she could do with being fed a little bit less. "Maybe a cup less than the amount the bag says."

We already feed her less than it says, we feed her with a measuring cup.

"Try weighing it out, make sure you're not feeding her more than it says."

So we did...Bag says 4-5 cups a day, we feed her 2 and the vet says we should feed her about 1 cup/day less. :slfg: She would eat us while we sleep.

My boy is on 6-7 cups a day.

Every now n then I get him some nice meat or bones but other than that he is on dry foods.

Just my 2 cents...

Mal's, Huskies, Akitas ect. are as you most likely know, very manipulative. They will eat what you want them to eat in the end though because you are the pack leader. I Only say this because if you are feeding two huskies a meat diet it will get expensive and can, from what I understand, be quite bad for them. ( this may be something I heard half of though :) )

My boy went almost a week of eating only small amounts of his food and it was almost impossible to get him back to biscuits after he tasted meat. After stressing like mad I changed his feeding routine and would put his food in my lap and pretend to eat it for a bit them nudge it over to him. Now he inhales the food :P

Just a thought anyway.

Inhaling food - forgot about that one, I don't think chewing is in a Mal's repertoire when it comes to food. I think the sponge cake went down in two gulps and was so hot that it did not touch his lips.

hello.

yeah we have a sibearian husky mixed with a malamute husky and she is quite fussy about the can food and biscuts although she will eat the biscuts of hungy enough haha

we feed her that jimbos mince meat stuff and pedigree biscuts and she inhales that haha also we feed her chopped up ox,sheep heart and alsorts of livers and yucky guts that are cheap as chips at the supermarket and is great! for her she gets a nice shiny coat from it but sheds hair like crazy! but i guess thats huskys for you haha would love to see some pics of your dogs how old are they?

Depends how far you are willing to go, basically from my research online there are 3 options (I had been looking into getting a dog and trialed a raw diet on my cat):

1) Commercial petfood.

2) Grain free and/or organic petfood.

3) Raw diet.

Majority of what you find on shelves will be in the first category they contain grains, by products, and basically all the meat that can't be sold as people food. Astoundingly most vets tend to also recommend these brands.

The second category can be found in some petstores, or organic food supermarkets. This is food without grain based ingredients and the majority of ingredients would be meat, while some fruits and veges may also be present. Just because it's in a can or roll and looks like meat does not mean that it fits in this category. Don't just think it must be good since it's expensive, actually check the ingredients. Brands that I've seen available in Auckland and are know to sell only grain free foods are: Ziwi Peak, Orijen, and Castor and Pollux.

The third category has 2 different models of feeding. One where a strict raw meat and bones diet is followed, while a second includes veges and fruits in their diet. Each has their pros and cons, as the diet inclusive of veges allows a bit more of a diverse range of food, while the raw meat model is apparently more accurate in terms of what a wild dog's natural diet would have been. Many people have the misconception that any raw bones and meat will do, but in both models, the meat portion of the diet should consist mainly of actual meant, not only the petfood bits that butchers may sell (eg. Chiken necks). I don't remember exact numbers but I think it was 75% meat, 15% bone, 10% organs. These can be sourced from butchers, and some petstores/vets. Try K9 as Critter_Crazy mentioned, and Raw Essentials is another brand that does these meat portions. And did I mention that all meat should be served raw?

Since my trail was done on my cat (they don't eat veges) I followed the meat only version of the raw feeding model. One of the key differences between the models is how the dogs get their veges, and the portion size of the meal. With the diet with veges, the model usually follows a regular sized portion every day, with the right proportions of vege and meat. With the meat only diet, it can be okay to provide larger sized meals paired with fasting days. Eg. give the dog a whole chicken one day, and don't feed him the next day. Again this is to mimick how dogs or wolves may eat in the wild. Additionally the means of providing the vege/fruit type nutrients to your dog in a meat only diet would be to include green tripe in their diet, so this is a really important ingredient if you want to do a meat only diet.

There's quite a lot you should consider if you want to do a raw diet. While it is possible to feed any raw meat you want, I'm the kind of person who either likes to do it right or not bother doing it at all. Plus you wan't want your pet to have any deficiencies from feeding raw wrong, while it may not be as easy to 'misfeed' your dog raw food, cats for example, can get sick just by having not enough Taurine, meat normally contains Taurine, but it depletes quickly in ground up meats like mince, so they can get a deficiency just by not being fed unground-up meat.

So basically, it's up to you how much effort you want to put in. Option 2 is easier, but tends to work out more expensive. Option 3 takes a lot of getting used to (but once you get the hang of it it's not as bad as it first seems), but works out a little cheaper than 2. Option 1 is cheapest, but probably not the ideal food for pets.

Best for instant condition is PIG HEADS & LAMB. Best to cook. PAK N SAVE is CHEAPEST. Dry foods etc no good and bad for kidneys etc. Cook some veg with them. Make a stew have a feed your self and the rest to the dogs. I Used to back in the day. Fastest made up NZ champ unbeaten. Thats what it ate.

Best for instant condition is PIG HEADS & LAMB. Best to cook. PAK N SAVE is CHEAPEST. Dry foods etc no good and bad for kidneys etc. Cook some veg with them. Make a stew have a feed your self and the rest to the dogs. I Used to back in the day. Fastest made up NZ champ unbeaten. Thats what it ate.

RAW IS GREAT TO but faster condition if cooked.

I wean my pups on Cooked PIG HEADS. MASSIVE. Better then any processed foods. First meat feed.

NATURAL is best.