High Tech Planted Tank UPDATE 06.10.2012 now closed down

si_sphinx

did you brake the stump?

Sure did, I couldn't get it to fit how I wanted and I accidently split a piece off it so I thought I may as well pull it apart.

I would stack them from the LHS to the RHS and not at either end if that makes sense.

So your saying make it all come from the tree stump on the left?

What I want to do is make it look like low lying roots and bits of wood sticking out up higher, I still need to find more wood and I possibly almost cover the entire background with wood. I want to have a lot of ferns, moss and anubias growing from it so eventually you won't see so much wood, just the pieces that stick out. Its hard to describe what I see in my head but maybe when I have more wood and get the layout right it will be more clear.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure did, I couldn't get it to fit how I wanted and I accidently split a piece off it so I thought I may as well pull it apart.

So your saying make it all come from the tree stump on the left?

What I want to do is make it look like low lying roots and bits of wood sticking out up higher, I still need to find more wood and I possibly almost cover the entire background with wood. I want to have a lot of ferns, moss and anubias growing from it so eventually you won't see so much wood, just the pieces that stick out. Its hard to describe what I see in my head but maybe when I have more wood and get the layout right it will be more clear.

arh ok lol

i need find wood aswell

Time to fill yet ? Really want to see how this light goes for you.

Have you done your home work on fertilizing yet would highly recommend going for EI dosing have had amazing results and the cheapest fert programme I've come across.

The biggest thing really is having a routine and sticking to it. :spop:

Yes I have a dry mix of ferts that I will mix up 500ml of solution at a time.

I don't really know dosage rates just yet. I will figure it out when I get it running and plants get going. It will also depend on how much plants I have in the tank.

I was thinking I would start with 5ml/50ltrs every 2-3 days and go from there. I won't have any fish in there until I get it right.

The fertilizer solution is:

Macros

Magnesium Sulphate (2%)

Potassium Nitrate (3%)

Potassium Sulphate (8%)

Micros

Trace elements (4%) (iron,copper,boron,zinc,molybdenum,manganese and magnesium)

RO Water (83%)

Full lighting won't be fully used if algae presents itself straight away and Co2 won't be started for a week or 2 untill the plants have settled in.

Any comments or something I should be thinking about or missed?

Full lighting won't be fully used if algae presents itself straight away and Co2 won't be started for a week or 2 untill the plants have settled in.

Any comments or something I should be thinking about or missed?

2 weeks i wouldn't leave it that long.. I thought that Co2 encouraged plants to establish new roots. although i wouldn't start the Co2 until about a week until the tank has settled.

Looking good!

Plant growth is non linear to the CO2 concentrations - you will still get good growth if CO2 levels are not up but if lighting and fertilisation are optimal, then CO2 will be limiting.

You definitely need phosphate when you increase the lighting or you will get green spot algae followed by deficiencies. Dosing monopotassium phosphate (KH2P04) in addition to potassium nitrate (KN03) will give you all the nitrogen, potassium and phosphate you need. Dose them at a ratio of about three parts potassium nitrate to one part monopotassium phosphate. EI ranges for macros are approximately:

CO2 25-35 ppm

Nitrate (NO3) 10-30 ppm

Potassium (K+) 10-30 ppm

Phosphate (PO4) 1.0-2.0 ppm

Iron (Fe) 0.2-0.5ppm or higher

GH range 17-40 ppm or higher - you are already adding MgSO4 but you need to have good calcium levels too so if your tap water has low calcium levels you can add calcium sulphate (CaSO4) at about 1 teaspoon per 400L once weekly. This can really make a huge difference in plant growth.

This is the reply I got when asking why the ferts I have don't contain any phosphorus from the person who made it. I got it from 'valray' on TM. are they on here?

It is a balancing act trying to replicate what nature provides the plants. Potassium is the important macro nutrient and phosphate is one of those many believe should be limited. There is usually enought phosphate available from fish and food waste, however there is never enough potassium. You can obtain the potassium either from potassium phosphate or potassium sulphate. Since potassium phosphate is mostly phosphate (only 29% K) wereas potassium sulphate has highter amounts of potassium (45% K) I prefer to use the later. The macro nutrient that wee need to add for plants are magnesium, potassium and nitrogen which are all provided in my dry mixture.

So if I need phosphorus and calcium, where can I obtain them?

I was getting ferts off valray to but did a bit of research and i now find that dry ferts is allot easier that way you have allot more control of what is going on in the water column.

Have found and a few others that stocker hydroponics in Cambridge do a great aquatic trace mix.

I add 1.5tsp KNO3, .5 tsp KH2PO4, .5 Aquatic trace mix every mon,wed,fri 50% water change every sun with 2 Tbsp MgSO4.

This is for 650ltrs with a 8 hr photo period of 4 t5s 2 t8s. you will need to add more with MH running.

Its get it very close to what jen has mentioned. The planted tank has a good index for dry dosing.

+1

Stocker has made an aquatic trace mix that can be used with fish and they have fantastic customer service!!

For my 400l tank I add 1 tsp KNO3, 1/2 tsp KH2PO4, 1/4 tsp iron, 3/4 tsp trace mix every other day, 50% water change every Sunday followed by 1 Tbsp MgSO4. and 1tsp CaSO4. It has an 8 hr photo period 8 T5HO plus 30ppm CO2.

It's an outdated myth that phosphate needs to be limited. It used to be thought that limiting nutrients would limit algae, but now we know that it only limits plant growth and when plants don't grow well, they can't use up nutrients and the algae can take over. The best approach is to make all nutrients unlimited (that's the principle of Tom Barr's Estimative Index) and limit the light to control growth if needed. Plenty of fast growing plants will out-compete algae so get 10x more plants than you think you will need, add plenty of nutrients (including carbon/CO2) and go easy on the lighting and work up to more if needed. :thup:

UPDATE: Filter now flowing nicely. Bad quality photos below...

After a lot of research I sorted the overflow and it is now virtually silent. 1st pipe going through the bottom with the flow controlled by a valve ensuring a full siphon. 2nd pipe going up is a hang on back overflow. made the same as here... http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-overflow/120.asp This is to take the extra overflow and if the 1st pipe becomes blocked.

100_0224.jpg

100_0225.jpg

100_0222.jpg

Water passes through a coarse foam then through noodles. Every thing is kept off the bottom with egg crate to make cleaning easier. In my last sump I noticed when the media sat on the bottom gunk would build up and would need cleaning more often. Problem now solved.

100_0219.jpg

Return pump. Auto water top up ball float installed but not hooked up yet. I havn't decided yet if I'm going to put in a small reservoir for top up or install a direct water line.

100_0227.jpg

Temp is now staying at a constant 26deg. I still need to tidy up messy wires.

100_0228.jpg

+1

Stocker has made an aquatic trace mix that can be used with fish and they have fantastic customer service!!

For my 400l tank I add 1 tsp KNO3, 1/2 tsp KH2PO4, 1/4 tsp iron, 3/4 tsp trace mix every other day, 50% water change every Sunday followed by 1 Tbsp MgSO4. and 1tsp CaSO4. It has an 8 hr photo period 8 T5HO plus 30ppm CO2.

Who/what or where is stocker?

Yes I have filter wool to go in on top of the noodles and also before the return pump.

I also have a bucket of bioballs if I need them.

Im hoping with my low stocking and a lot of plants I won't need too much filtration. Just enough to remove floating particles within the water column.

I am planning on putting a uv filter in the sump too.

• 2 weeks later...