Tapwater pH in winter

hovmoller

Tested my tanks last night.. found pH around 5.5 - 6 on all of them..

Then I tested my tap water a few time to be sure and it was around 6.

I hope my test kit is wrong but could it be that it has something to do with winter having higher rainfalls and so water supply is more "rainwater like" than in summer??? and then this causes a lower pH? Just speculating here of course.

I live in Epsom, Auckland and I believe we get water from the Waikato river

Anyone else experiencing the same?

Sounds like a good thing to me!! I'll just go check mine...

*edit* mine is still off-the-scale blue from the tap. But interestingly enough the pH of the big tank is down to about 6.8 after having nothing but tap water (no rain water) for the past couple of months. Did a 450L change on it on Friday with tap water. Maybe there is less TDS in the tap water at this time of year?

Sounds like a good thing to me!!

Yeah normally I'd agree but I'm going away for 7 weeks and don't want my tanks pH to crash while I'm away.

Maybe there is less TDS in the tap water at this time of year?

That's what I thought too.. more rainwater to dilute whatever solids washes out of the mountains..

I think I'll add some sea shells to my filters.. not too many but enough to prevent ph crash.. does anyone agree with this approach?

I've got some coral rubble that I haveused in the past to buffer tanks by adding it to the filters, if you want to come over and grab some let me know. How long until you leave? If you haven't got enough time to experiment and monitor it before you leave to make sure you haven't added too much then I'd say you're better off not to add any at all.

I've got some coral rubble that I haveused in the past to buffer tanks by adding it to the filters, if you want to come over and grab some let me know. How long until you leave? If you haven't got enough time to experiment and monitor it before you leave to make sure you haven't added too much then I'd say you're better off not to add any at all.

Thanks David, I've got lots of sea shell rubble (don't ask me why, has something to do with wife and decoration :lol: ) and I'm leaving in 2 weeks so can experiment a bit before then.

I've got readings from off the charts blue to 6.6ish from my tapwater in the same day, a few minutes apart. I don't trust the API pH liquid test kit much at all.

Temperature seems to make a big difference in the readings too.

What part of Auckland are you guys in? I'm east so will be getting my water from the Hunuas. As Alan said in another thread, water companies usually try keep the pH high as acidic water would corrode pipes faster etc, but I find the GH and KH of my tap water is still very low and it doesn't take much to bring it back down.

Yeah Epsom here.. and quite sure we're on Waikato water..

Tested tap water again last night with two different test kits.. it was back up to "normal" - 7-7.5

So I wonder if it was just a fluke. If tapwater can really change that much on a single day or if I simply tested wrong (several times) :nilly:

I just had a look at their [awkward] website, and it looks like the waikato only supplies 10% of Aucklands supply. Not sure where it goes or how it gets mixed in (I can't find a map showing which suburbs draw their water from where, although I recall seeing one somewhere).

http://www.watercare.co.nz/about-watercare/our-services/water-sources/Pages/default.aspx

I would have thought at this time of year they'd be taking less from the river and more from the dams?