Any corydoras breeders out there?

Joshlikesfish

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was waiting till after breakfast and now can't find any lol.

but I have just released 4 from my eggubator.

there are enough hiding places so hopefully I'll still get some.

Need to swap one of the females for some more males but can't be bothered taking my com. tank apart again

Buy a few ugly but useful plastic plants with broad leaves. Put the corries in a bare tank with one plant and a sponge filter. Feed them well and they should go even without the cold water changes. When you see eggs on the plant swap it for an empty one and put the eggs in another tank to hatch.

theres chickens in your supermarket?

sure are

I shop at Chickens-R-Us

Buy a few ugly but useful plastic plants with broad leaves. Put the corries in a bare tank with one plant and a sponge filter. Feed them well and they should go even without the cold water changes. When you see eggs on the plant swap it for an empty one and put the eggs in another tank to hatch.

I will do that next, thanks Alan. I am presuming they are mature enough - hard to tell with such little fish.

My next question is why does the tank have to be bare bottomed?

Would it not be more natural for them to have some sand to snuffle in or is that we are really want to stimulate their survival instinct by providing unnatural conditions? or is just a matter of housekeeping? :cofn:

Mine have only ever laid in community tanks so they're comfortable in sand. If you were breeding them in breeding tanks like alan is suggesting then a bare bottom tank with 1 plant would suffice.

I suspect you're just trying to encourage them for the sake of it rather than to actively breed them on a semi-professional scale in which case a bare bottom tank is not needed.

Just keep them happy and they'll get around to it. Maybe put on some Marvin Gaye or Barry White, light a candle on the other side of the room and see if that helps :lol: :slfg:

Maybe put on some Marvin Gaye or Barry White, light a candle on the other side of the room and see if that helps :lol: :slfg:

Is that how you brooded your Mini-Obstacles? Ok never mind, I don't really want to know :P

Since my earlier post I have taken out all the sand so now they are essentially naked. They have the moss and a large supply of food for the evening, so will see if anything new in the morning. Since they are in the garage rather than on display I might as well treat it as a breeding tank and see how it goes. I will look for some fake plants out on my travels

hmm stuck again. Did a big brine shrimp feed last night, 40% cold water change this morning, and no glass dancing going on.... Am i being too impatient?

Patient is the key when it comes to breeding.

Make your corys are mature enough to breed. In my expenrience they are breed well in a group rather than 1 male 1 female.

Separate the males and females for conditioning.

feed them with lots of frozen blood worms. you can tell if the female is full of eggs with its big tummy.

when they are ready, put them together.

you can try rainwater or just normal water change everyday to keep them happy.

hopefully you will find some eggs attached on the glass.

I've decided mine are not conditioned enough or not old enough to breed yet as I am otherwise doing things right.

This morning they had a big water change and a couple of feeds anyway. Ideally they will lay some eggs before I lose interest and find an instant gratification fish to play with instead :roll: