Any corydoras breeders out there?

Joshlikesfish

Hey everyone.

I've managed to spawn my corydoras trilineatus(Thanks Neon!) for a second time and plan to actually raise fry this time.

What methods are best? I have moved the eggs to a small tank with an airstone and plan on feeding decap and micro worms once the egg sacks have been consumed.

Thanks in advance! :D

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I move eggs into an old mayo jar with tiny holes drilled in it, stuck inside big tank with suction cup with an airstone in it.

Once eggs are in I put a drop of meth blue in to prevent fungus. (this disapears of course in a day or so because of tiny holes - repeat)

When fry has used up eggs sacks I feed with liquifry or just crushed dry food. then move to net breeder where I feed the crushed NLS grow. seems to work very well.

My new albino cories spawned yesterday but by the time I figured out what the eggs were they'd all been eaten :o

A cold water change will do it :o

I move eggs into an old mayo jar with tiny holes drilled in it, stuck inside big tank with suction cup with an airstone in it.

How do you move the eggs? I just took the java moss I had in the tank out

My new albino cories spawned yesterday but by the time I figured out what the eggs were they'd all been eaten :o

that alway nice to hear that they were happy :nilly:

Hey everyone.

I've managed to spawn my corydoras trilineatus(Thanks Neon!) for a second time and plan to actually raise fry this time.

What methods are best? I have moved the eggs to a small tank with an airstone and plan on feeding decap and micro worms once the egg sacks have been consumed.

Thanks in advance! :D

josh i would move the parents out of the spawning tank cos sometime they will hide the eggs, and the eggs that get moved dont alway hatch, also the eggs have a better chance if not touched, thats what i found when i breed my (sterbai, albino sterbai, albino, peppereds, bronze :lol: )

How do you move the eggs? I just took the java moss I had in the tank out

I just collect with fingers, hehe.

Eggs are quite hard.. you can sort of "roll" them off (if on hard surface) and they will stick to your finger. Otherwise if they are in the moss just pick with two fingers.. just don't squeeze too hard. :wink:

I've always rolled the eggs off glass or moved the plant that seems to have the most eggs attached. The only time I've actively bred them I put them in a breeding trap and fed rotifers and crushed flake after the eggs sacks were consumed.

In the 700L the pandas have spawned at least 4 times and I've got about 8 babies swimming around now. I don't think it'll last as I added angels last week. The angels days are already numbered.

100_0331.jpg

Excuse the bad picture. My camera cannot take close up photos... :roey: :sml2:

Fishy, I hate catching adult cories so I'd rather move the eggs, and I don't really have another tank for the adults!

Thanks for the advice Hovmoller. I've used a plastic bottle and moved it to another tank with the same tank water and will buy some meth tomorrow :oops: Also placed the moss in that tank just encase it had some eggs in it. Hopefully I can get them to hatch!

Are rotifers the frozen food from HFF obstacle?

In the 700L the pandas have spawned at least 4 times and I've got about 8 babies swimming around now. I don't think it'll last as I added angels last week. The angels days are already numbered.

I have my Pandas in my 300L com. with 6 angels, I find as long as there are places for the fry to hide and eat I get some servivors, Have seen atleast 6 fry in the last 3 months

I have my Pandas in my 300L com. with 6 angels, I find as long as there are places for the fry to hide and eat I get some servivors, Have seen atleast 6 fry in the last 3 months

Ahh cool, I was wondering if you had yours in the same tank. I've taken your lead and finally gotten around to getting the river stones to cover the sand for the planted area so the fry have somewhere to hide. I haven't had any survivors since I added the tetra and angels to the tank but I'm hoping this way there are at least a few from each spawn that get left alone long enough to get to wriggler stage.

Are rotifers the frozen food from HFF obstacle?

Yeah, it looks like a cloud of dust going into the tank when you add a whole frozen block to a tank but I found the wrigglers went through 1 block in a week or so. I just thawed it in a cup in the fridge with a bit of tank water and used a dropper to put a couple of drops in the tank 3-4 times a day.

At the moment HFF have it labelled as daphnia in the freezer at Mt Albert but it's definitely not. I haven't the heart to tell them.

What I did was remove the eggs to an ice cream container which I floated in the main tank with an airstone going in it. Once they hatch wait until they absorb the egg sack then start feeding microworms and lots of daily water changes. Others feed BBS/DBSE but I'm too lazy for BBS and mine didn't take Decapsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs. In around a month depending on growth rate they might be able to take adult food/DBSE, my Sterbais take about a month and a half until they start eating adult food.

Hope this helps :thup:

Ahh cool, I was wondering if you had yours in the same tank. I've taken your lead and finally gotten around to getting the river stones to cover the sand for the planted area so the fry have somewhere to hide. I haven't had any survivors since I added the tetra and angels to the tank but I'm hoping this way there are at least a few from each spawn that get left alone long enough to get to wriggler stage.

Planted helps aswell, thinking of actually trying to breed them soom though, and since I have never actually seen eggs I don't know exactly How I will do this

how much moss do you need? I have a blob that loosely fills a quarter of the bottom of the tank, there is a sandy area for snuffling and a corner where I feed them that is moss-free. All this time I have been looking for eggs stuck to the glass :oops:

how much moss do you need? I have a blob that loosely fills a quarter of the bottom of the tank, there is a sandy area for snuffling and a corner where I feed them that is moss-free. All this time I have been looking for eggs stuck to the glass :oops:

That'll be heaps. Yeah, they'll be dropping the eggs on the underside of leaves or around the stems near the substrate. The best thing to look for is the little dance they do just after the water change, then you know it's on :)

These pygmies are Tina Turner Private dancers - when I go into the room all activity stops. They won't do anything if they are being watched unless I sit there for sufficiently long enough for them to realise I am not going to eat them. If I put the light on in there they all swim to the corner and wait. There aren't any plants really, a couple of tiny crypts that I took from babies you gave me, maybe 3 square centimetre of leaf in total. I will take a photo

Here is my pygmy breeding tank - 45cm long by 25cm wide and high.

Currently 21 degrees in there so just one layer of clothing required according to the Metservice.

I can move this to a seperate thread if anyone wishes.

No eggs yet as far as I know but there is a female residing under the moss which I will take as a good sign.

This was a squashed handful of moss. Tonight's dinner was 2 kinds of chopped worm and I did notice a few having a chomp when I hid behind the moss.

breedingtank1.jpg

breedingtank2.jpg

Not sure what they SHOULD be bred at but mine are happily laying at 26 degrees. When I add 20% cold water the temp drops to about 23/23.5 and then comes back up.

edit: almost like there's a heater in the tank... :roll:

:sml2: No, its *magic*