The What's Up? thread.

SamH

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

had a great first week at my new job, sadly came home tonight to find simon the siamese fighter dead in the fish tank :tears: :dead%fish

poor guy was such a great fish. will be hard to find one who was such a good fish.

will have to have a look at what they have at botany animates tomorrow and see if they have any nice fellas in there.

-smurff

I have just been over to the Hospice to check out the tank. They had called to say it could do with a clean. Our club set up and maintains a 4ft tropical in the main lobby. I have not seen it for ages as one of our other club members, who works in the hospital, has been kind enough to do the maintenance for the past year or so. I needed to see how much cleaning it needed, as I understood Sally had done a water change a couple of weeks ago, what fish were still in it (they had let us know the large catfish had died - he had come with the tank and was over 10 years old I believe) and whether it needed plants.

Well, I counted;

17 black widows, 1 baby bristlenose (added recently apparently to replace the catfish), 1 rummy nose, 1 very large and bright cherry barb, 2 lemon etras, 1 harlequin and an angel.

The Anubias I originally added has taken off and spread well. I think I will have to pinch some back for my own tank as mine died out. There is a bit of Java fern on the log and patches of cyano. I think I will trim my rotala and add that along the back to give more plant height.

I was given some fish the other day after their tank seal gave way so I will add them as well. There's a penguin tetra, 4 black widows, 2 large tiger barbs, a few neons, 1 harlequin, 1 zebra danio, 1 silver shark (not sure if I will add that one but not sure what to do with it) and a couple of bottom dwellers.

Another member has offered small Ancistrus fry so we might add more of them as well. The large group of widows looks good but I am wondering if we could do with a bit more colour.

James, another member, and I will go over again this weekend and I will supervise while he cleans (I can't bend to do it myself. James even cleaned out my 3ft for me the other day :bow: ) and adds the other fish.

Once my 3ft is empty I can lend it to my sister who has a goldfish in a bowl (fish belongs to boyfriend who did not know any better) and wishes to give it a bigger home.

My husband made the big mistake of telling her not to put it up her nose, you don't tell a seven year old girl what NOT to do :facepalm:

awww that wasn't a mistake. That was called getting a return on your investment aka letting your children entertain you.

have started a new breeding experiment - 4 dwarf rasbora in a small mossed-up area in the garage. Natural light only and if they ever emerge out of the moss to eat I will reward them with lots of worms. There are either 2 pairs or 3 girls and a boy. Am going to keep them down there for a week and then bring them back and see if any fry emerge from the moss.

My week just gets worse and worse. Some random is going to have to cut my hair this time because the girl who normally cuts it is sick, and then goes on annual leave! :an!gry

So worst case scenario I'll be limping and not have a good haircut (some of you are probably thinking I'm nuts about now). Gah!

A different hairdresser can be disastrous so I at least don't think you're nuts to be worried. I ended up growing my hair out for months as I was too scared to try a new one when mine went away haha

You will be safe if you get the replacement to take only the smallest amount off just to tide you over till the other one gets back

he was getting nearer and nearer death every time you looked at him with that angry look in your eye :rotf:

in other news I have evaluated my fish choices for the breeding experiment and discovered I did indeed pick 3 fat females and a snappy little male. Roll on those eggs :happy2:

I was playing with the code on fishkeepers trying to set up a chat room and I ended up breaking the whole bloody thing. It might be a few days before i get it going again :an!gry

Why do you not restore from the the backup you did just before you started altering the code?

See, if I had been administered the lead pill that you suggested I would not be able to offer you this sound advice...

I might, don't forum much these days. Tank's cleared up but looks like a new tank, bare and too clean. CO2 frothed up and filled the diffuser with muck, luckily I was thinking and didn't put in the tank just yet, so damn hard to clean inside that tiny piece of sealed glass :(

I was playing with the code on fishkeepers trying to set up a chat room and I ended up breaking the whole bloody thing. It might be a few days before i get it going again :an!gry

i wondered why its came up with a error every time i tried to log on! :facepalm:

I have been at work today. One patient was very rude and ended up hanging up on me but another was grateful when she found out I had been concerned when she did not answer the phone when I tried, several times, to ring her with test results. I had then rung the hospital, as she had been in there several times recently, and discovered she had been admitted and was not lying injured on the kitchen floor or something! She was pleased to find someone had cared enough to check up on her as she lives alone.

I then had my appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon for my MRI results. I now have to wait to see a surgeon in Christchurch and have spinal surgery :tears:

When I got home I found a thank you card from the local hospice after I donated a selection of fish to their tank. :love: