Getting some shrimp

shelties

I recall Stella posting something along the lines of it is ok to sell them if you have breed them. just not to go out, catch them, them sell your catch. They all say they have breed them online but I thought they needed marine water to breed which was why they are found mostly in eastrys.

But yea just give them it as petrol money

I recall Stella posting something along the lines of it is ok to sell them if you have breed them. just not to go out, catch them, them sell your catch. They all say they have breed them online but I thought they needed marine water to breed which was why they are found mostly in eastrys.

But yea just give them it as petrol money

Wanted to find out what the deal was, so emailed MAF and got this answer re: shrimp on TM:

Fisheries management advisors have indicated that there are no sustainability issues relating to freshwater shrimp. There may be an issue about the species being collected from the wild and subsequently sold however it is clear that these are being bred by the advertiser and the numbers sold are at a very low level.

So there you go.

i am also a non-believer. A photo of a gravid shrimp does not make you a breeder :roll:

But I think its more about the numbers - at $5 per shrimp he won't sell enough to really worry MAF at all.

If people were selling in the thousands and to a large number of people then it might be a different story.

• 2 weeks later...