dwarf puffers

kingmatherz

Yeah, it is a big tank. I am hoping that by not crowding them i have more chance of breeding them and seeing more natural behaviour. I hate seeing eight of them crowded into thirty litre tanks. The tank is a corner tank with a bow front and has alot of height so it does make it easier to see them. They range in size. The smallest i brought at hollywoods a week ago and he will be about 1.5cm's and the biggest would be my white female at about 3 cm's

They are very cute. I find that the colour difference does not really tell me if they are a male or female. The best way to tell is that the male has a black stripe down his belly and the females dont or another way of telling is the boys get wrinkles behind there eyes and the girls dont (if only mother nature could be so kind to female humans LOL). But you have to wait until they are a little older to sex them. Also i think that there are a couple of different types of dwarf puffers in NZ which may account for the different colours. there is a website called dwarfpuffers.com which is a huge source of information.

If your okay with the whiptail not having a whip, then they should be fine. The whip might be considered too much like food for them and when it comes to food they are brutal :D

oh - maybe not then . My Whiptail has a lovley long whip, the dwarf puffers may have to wait . I'd be struggling to find space for a 5th tank!

The fam want me to put the whiptail (male) into the main community tank, but there's already another whiptail in there and I don't know if it's male or female yet.

I will get puffers one day though! Have always wanted a couple, and bumblebee gobys too.